Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Thanks Matt!
Actually, I finally figured out that the actual HUB rotates on this via some sort of motor system that lifts with the sweeps and hub section. The counter spin is, as you said, from the gearing at the bottom of the column where the slew bearing sits.
I would LOVE to see a picture of the commutator on this thing.
Thanks for the info everybody
[:)]

tilt
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Matthew

The sweeps are attached to a hub that travels up and down the tower. Near the top of the tower it bends at a slight angle. This is what causes the ride to tilt. Take one of those bendable straws and bend it at a small angle. You'll see what I mean. The counter rotating of the tower happens at the base of the ride.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by tiltawhirl

Sorry to sort have derailed your thread ECZenith![:I]
I know you should be able to get some help in this area here.[:)]
Matthew posted:
Quote:

quote:

If you ever see some pictures of the European-style Paratroopers, they have a tower similer like those used on the Wave Swinger. However those appear to use hydrolics rather than cables.

From the pics I've seen, I can see that part pretty clearly. [:)]
My question is, when you ride a wave swinger, not only do you rotate with the direction of the sweeps, but also(getting back to the undulation part) move up and down, much the same motion as a Eyerly Spider. How is the counter-rotation acheived to cause this? On a Spider there is that center arm that the sweeps are attached to.

tilt

The sweeps are attached to a hub that travels up and down the tower. Near the top of the tower it bends at a slight angle. This is what causes the ride to tilt. Take one of those bendable straws and bend it at a small angle. You'll see what I mean. The counter rotating of the tower happens at the base of the ride.

Quote:

quote:

Matthew posted:
Quote:

quote:

If you ever see some pictures of the European-style Paratroopers, they have a tower similer like those used on the Wave Swinger. However those appear to use hydrolics rather than cables.

My question is, when you ride a wave swinger, not only do you rotate with the direction of the sweeps, but also(getting back to the undulation part) move up and down, much the same motion as a Eyerly Spider. How is the counter-rotation acheived to cause this? On a Spider there is that center arm that the sweeps are attached to.

tilt

ahhhhh haha lol
UserPostedImage
My girlfriend saw me out with a "model", and now she's having Undulation Issues!
No prob at all tilt, [;)]

Matt, it is definately a great benefit for my girlfriend and I to have the same hobby. We're both coaster/flat ride enthsiasts, and I'm an HO scale modeler. When she saw my amusement park layout taking form, she had to have some kits. Now she has Pirate Island, Jupiter Ferris Wheel, and a Wave Swinger that needs some love.

We both split the costs and built Mammoth Cave, and Jungle Train together.

Definately a great thing to have the same hobbies. I can't love her enough.[:)]
"If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room."
Matthew posted:
Quote:

quote:

tilt

Quote:

quote:

Sort of on topic, but I wanted to ask a question about the mechanics of the REAL Wave Swinger. I know that the covered sweeps move up the center pole, and then after getting to the angled part of the pole, it rotates. My question is, exactly WHERE on the ride is the reverse rotation happening? It is the same sort of motion as a Spider or the like, but when I look at this ride racked, I can't see what actually turns the center column, and at what point on the ride is the reverse direction force applied? Is the column geared at the base? I know this sounds convaluted, but I am just curious about the inner workings of this ride.

tilt

yea pritty much the bottom of the colum is geared.

the set of sweeps is lifted by a elevator cable like system that consists of 4 specialy rated cables
You'll miss us when were gone....
Sort of on topic, but I wanted to ask a question about the mechanics of the REAL Wave Swinger. I know that the covered sweeps move up the center pole, and then after getting to the angled part of the pole, it rotates. My question is, exactly WHERE on the ride is the reverse rotation happening? It is the same sort of motion as a Spider or the like, but when I look at this ride racked, I can't see what actually turns the center column, and at what point on the ride is the reverse direction force applied? Is the column geared at the base? I know this sounds convaluted, but I am just curious about the inner workings of this ride.

tilt
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ECZenith

My girlfriend was so excited about the release of the Wave Swinger ....please PM me or respond here so you can talk to her. Even if we have to send it out to you, or pay, we'd like to see it run. [|)]

Thanks in advance!
-Sean

Damn dude, thats cool as hell... my ex girlfriend wouldnt even hold my models cause she thought that they would break.- lol Even so, its neat to get someone like that interested in one of your hobbies..
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com