Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I always find it amazing how quick I actually get my refund. There is no way the IRS could check everything to give me the refund. I think they issue the refund of whatever you think you deserve and as long as none of your numbers are way out of whack nobody looks.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Originally Posted by: Blake 

The IRS is nowhere near as efficient as we have been led to believe.
The ID thieves have websites and databases full of stolen information from which to peruse and choose.
So, they gather enough information to file, change the address/banking info to receive the check, and run.
The victim doesn't know about it for 6 months.
The IRS doesn't catch up to the discrepancies in the file for at least 6 months.

If tax preparers asked for several forms of ID when doing people's taxes, a lot of this would be mitigated.

H&R Block and other chains are a big part of the problem.

Security isn't taken seriously until it is too late. Human Nature.

Blake

This is very true. I've used the online versions a couple times and never really had to verify anything to file. I think there was one part where I had to get a PIN number from the IRS website or something but that was it. No proof of ID at all needed to file - all you need is data, data, data, and done...

The IRS is nowhere near as efficient as we have been led to believe.
The ID thieves have websites and databases full of stolen information from which to peruse and choose.
So, they gather enough information to file, change the address/banking info to receive the check, and run.
The victim doesn't know about it for 6 months.
The IRS doesn't catch up to the discrepancies in the file for at least 6 months.

If tax preparers asked for several forms of ID when doing people's taxes, a lot of this would be mitigated.

H&R Block and other chains are a big part of the problem.

Security isn't taken seriously until it is too late. Human Nature.

Blake
Anyone see the news about people filing their taxes only to find out someone has stolen their identity and got a refund in their name? How can these people get the information on the wd 2s etc. I can understand how they get the SS number but what about the rest of the data to match up with what the tax office is supposedly comparing to to accept the tax filing? I am confused as usual.