Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
http://www.tampabay.com/...testing-business/1226318 

From John Romano--columnist for the St Pete Times----(this mornings paper)

This is his opinion,along with some supposed facts. Take from it what you like.Obviously this is a popular topic so I thought I would share his opinion.......jeff
Originally Posted by: johnroach100 

Isn't there supposed to be some pride in paying your own way, and some shame in expecting other people to support you?

No, that is why our country has a welfare problem. Alot of people are not ashamed to be on welfare. Heck I have even heard of people bragging about being on food stamps.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

Around here there has been articles on the welfare gap. People that may make slightly more than a threshold amount, and there beniffits drop significantly making it better to stay on welfare than work more. The talk is to close that gap to make it more benificial for people to work.

Isn't there supposed to be some pride in paying your own way, and some shame in expecting other people to support you?

The governor signed the bill so of course there is already talk of court challenges. The sponsors said they think it'll stand up, we'll see.
The problem with the caps is it is a one size should fit all. Some people maybe need 6 years to get off, others maybe 4 is the right amount of time, others could do it in two. I think the system should get the people off as soon as possible.

Around here there has been articles on the welfare gap. People that may make slightly more than a threshold amount, and there beniffits drop significantly making it better to stay on welfare than work more. The talk is to close that gap to make it more benificial for people to work.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Originally Posted by: Skywheelrider 

There has been talk lately of doing this here in Michigan. What they have done here is put a cap on welfare. What that means is you are limited to 48 months (four years), no exceptions, and you have to show you are actively seeking work. No extentions after four years. It took effect late last year, and it was retroactive, meaning your time clock started the day you started receiving welfare, and if that was three years ago, you had a year left; some had over four years and were told they were done. There was a court challenge of course, and it passed the challenge and was allowed to go into effect and become law. I am all for helping folks in need, to a point. Welfare was designed to be a temporary fix for folks that lost their job, their home, etc. It was never meant to be a 'career' as many have made it and attempted to make it. But let me decide what to do with my money, who to help, where to spend it, charities to give to that help those in need, I don't want the government using their grubby hands to 'redistribute' MY money as THEY see fit.

Florida did the "cap" thing also quite some time ago,but I think it is only 2 years max! I am not sure about the retroactive part..

About 13 years ago when I started going with my current wife.We had some problems ,broke up and she had gone on welfare for about a year..She had a son by a previous relationship,and my oldest daughter,who was a baby.I gave her cash throughout the breakup.We winded up working out our problems and have been together since,getting married and having 1 more daughter together

The point of this story is this--The state came after me for the year of benefits she recieved..Now I didn't mind this too much except I felt that I should only repay half and the other father should pay half..They told me that whichever father they "catch"is the one that pays..I said I wasn't hiding anywhere to be needed to be caught and I was paying her ,blah,blah,they didn't care about nothing .The fact that I worked on the books made it easier for them to take the money out of my check etc.--They did tell me that I could sue the other father for half which is a joke..

I really did not mind repaying the state.It was around $ 4000,they took about $ 80 a week out of my pay till it was done,pus they took a chunk of my income tax refund one year.What I did mind was paying the other guys debt as he was free and clear also after I paid up.--

-That is one way that Florida gets the taxpayers money back!Maybe more states should use these methods...jeff
There has been talk lately of doing this here in Michigan. What they have done here is put a cap on welfare. What that means is you are limited to 48 months (four years), no exceptions, and you have to show you are actively seeking work. No extentions after four years. It took effect late last year, and it was retroactive, meaning your time clock started the day you started receiving welfare, and if that was three years ago, you had a year left; some had over four years and were told they were done. There was a court challenge of course, and it passed the challenge and was allowed to go into effect and become law. I am all for helping folks in need, to a point. Welfare was designed to be a temporary fix for folks that lost their job, their home, etc. It was never meant to be a 'career' as many have made it and attempted to make it. But let me decide what to do with my money, who to help, where to spend it, charities to give to that help those in need, I don't want the government using their grubby hands to 'redistribute' MY money as THEY see fit.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
I want the same thing. I just don't think this policy will have the desired effect.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Look, I'm a big fan of the government keeping it's nose out of everybody's business. What anybody does that has no effect on others is nobody's business.

BUT... When somebody starts using government money, that's MY money. Anything that slows down the flow of my money where I don't want it is fine with me. If you want to give YOUR money to some stoner who pretends it's for his kids, knock yourself out. I want to keep mine for retirement or to help who I want.
Only the stupidest ones, and their kids are the ones who need it most.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

So you agree with me that the only thing this will accomplish is to create yet another way to corrupt the welfare system, at the expense of kids born into the wrong families?

It should keep at least a few people who don't deserve it off the welfare rolls. The ones who find a way to slip by would have been on there anyway.