Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
I'll say this, too. If you're like me, and get your BA then go back on the road, don't expect that piece of paper to do you any good later on down the road. I interviewed for a job in November, just to see what would happen. I had the basic requirements, and more. However, having 16 years of employment history in this business doesn't do a lot for you in the "real world". I got a ton of questions about my work experience, and I am positive that I answered them in a manner that was pertinent to the job I was applying for. However, in the end, I didn't have the background that they were looking for (although, if they opened their minds a little, they would've seen that I really did...oh well).

I think Judge Smails said it best. The link above are his comments.

Remember a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
I keep telling kids, get all the education you can get. Its that pc of paper that gets you in the door. College wasn't for me and I knew it. My skill sets aren't taught in college, trade school was better option. I'm a hands on person. I learn by doing and experience. WHat I learned on the midway served me well as a Maint tech. There was very I couldn't do and always got top wages for the companies I worked for. I was offered supervisory position and knew that wasn't for me either. The midway also gave me something they can't teach, a good work ethic. You have to have that degree now so don't hesitate. As my grandfather told me so many times, what you learn can never be taken away from you.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
I have a bachelors degree in English Lit. We got off the road for two years when I had my 13 year old and my oldest was starting school. In that time, I got my associates, then I spent three years finishing at a state university while playing an abbreviated route. I suppose I could probably find a job in my field, if I tried, but I doubt I'd make the same money I do working the joint. Also, this business has been great to my kids. Nowhere else can you have your children with you at the level they are in this industry (at least, in my personal experience).
I'm not sorry that I spent the time, and I'm glad I have the degree. I might not feel that way if I had spent $40,000 on it though.
Community College+State University+Pell Grants=an almost zero cost education, minus the work lost while I was in school.

My daughter, however, just finished high school, which cost me nearly $30,000 and is at a $28,000 a year private university with nearly 80% tuition covered by academic scholarships. I will never regret the expense of educating her in the manner she needed. She's got absolutely no interest in this business, and I believe her degree will serve her well.

Originally Posted by: DanTheBooker 

I will say this. I don't have a college education. Just a high school diploma. Many of my friends have graduated with a four year degree and have been in their focused fields for 18 months now. I guarantee you I know more about my primary business than they know about theirs. And I make more than them with no tuition to pay back.

I have known since I was a seven year old kid, I want to own a circus. Not many degrees would help me do that. To go out and bill poster for this show, or run lights and sound on that show. Or work concessions for this guy. THAT'S my college education.

With all of that said, my banker has told me "If you had a business degree, we'd be more than happy to give you a start-up loan for a small business."[banghead2

Dan I can understand where you are coming from, but please let me offer this up. First a degree Doesn't mean you are educated. But after saying that I am a firm beliver in everyone getting a college education. See the problem with your banker is there is no measurement for the education in the business that you have, just what you say you know. That doesn't translate to paper. Now if you would take your experience, get a degree online or from a Jr. College or both then you have experience, and paper. With both of those it is easier for the banker and the loan board at the bank to feel good about their decision. What you are doing is making it easier for them to say no.

I hope you don't think I am picking on you, I just wanted to use your situation as a case study.

Originally Posted by: Soda Guy 

What was it 3 or 4 years since he has been around.

I just remember him being the king of what needs to be booked where.

It's definitely been a while. And you're right, he did know when and where rides should be...

These two fighting like this just reminds me of how easy it was to fight with that guy. My favorite day on MCW was that day With-it & I racked that guy up...
Originally Posted by: 2ndgencarnie 

I miss GoGator, these type of fights where so much fun...

What was it 3 or 4 years since he has been around.

I just remember him being the king of what needs to be booked where.

I miss GoGator, these type of fights where so much fun...
There is a difference between having an education and having a degree.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
I will say this. I don't have a college education. Just a high school diploma. Many of my friends have graduated with a four year degree and have been in their focused fields for 18 months now. I guarantee you I know more about my primary business than they know about theirs. And I make more than them with no tuition to pay back.

I have known since I was a seven year old kid, I want to own a circus. Not many degrees would help me do that. To go out and bill poster for this show, or run lights and sound on that show. Or work concessions for this guy. THAT'S my college education.

With all of that said, my banker has told me "If you had a business degree, we'd be more than happy to give you a start-up loan for a small business."[banghead2