Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
We can't add tariffs, violates our trade agreements. We have most of what is needed in place. They already track import/export. Just a matter of paperwork and enforcement. Turn a ship or two around and they will stay within their limits. Impoters and exporters have detailed records and the dollar value is based on what they buy and sell. Much simpler than the IRS.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
That is a pretty aggressive plan. How is this going to be funded? I am not sure how that is much better than enacting import duties on the products that we could and want to make here. It would make imported products cost more in line to American products. The import duties raises the funds needed to balance the trade.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Originally Posted by: Bowler Roller 

That's a pretty good idea. However, I see it having the opposite effect on taxes and regs, since we'll have to produce much of that stuff ourselves.

That's when those who start imposing taxes and regs will be voted out. Note BHO has yet to get his taxes imposed. You will find when BHO is out and a new EPA is put in far more regs will be killed than they ever put in. I hope the new congress is powerful enough to limit the powers of the EPA and if that can't be done, defund it or eliminate it.
That's a pretty good idea. However, I see it having the opposite effect on taxes and regs, since we'll have to produce much of that stuff ourselves.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
Originally Posted by: Benjibear 

How do you make that work?

A bipartisan group like the GAO or CBO computes what we export thne sets import priorities. We need oil but most of what comes out of China we may want but don't need. Countries that are favorable to us get a higher priority. Thus because we need oil we will end up giving trade dollars to SA. They don't import enough to make a balance so they can sell their excess dollars to China or whom ever. China can only export to us the value of what they import unless they buy another country's excess dollars. But it is all based on our gross exports. This will force countries like China to open their markets to our products. It will force a price rise in their products but it also encourages comapnies to move or stay here to get outside that envelope. It will also create shortages for non essential products which inturn will allow new businesses to open here creating jobs here. The gvt has to get out of the way with useless taxes and regulations. It also gives us leverage on countries that want higher up on the priority list. For example, Mexico is told close the border or they will go further down the prioity list. Countries like Germany, England and Canada will rate high.. Russia, China and India will go toward the bottom. Just a concept but our balance of trade will always remain neutral.
Originally Posted by: flamo 

Agreed....We can't impose tarrifs because of sorry trade agreements. But a constitutional amendment stating we can import no than we export doesn't affect those agreements.

How do you make that work?

Agreed....We can't impose tarrifs because of sorry trade agreements. But a constitutional amendment stating we can import no than we export doesn't affect those agreements. As for those refusing jobs, no more gvt checks, when their belly growls they will work. Perry is not a good choice, too soft on imigration. He could have clamped down on Houston and didn't he has started to close the border.
It is all a screwed up mess. Obama did inherited a big mess from the Bush years but has proved that he could not at least slow the mess down. Maybe it is gone too far for anyone to fix. Congress's has proved that they are incapable of making legislation that is good for everyone and not just the special interest. I know we have had our disagreements here and everyone had different ideas but I think if we were sitting in a room, we could come up with a better compromise than the politicians in Washington and do a better job at running the country.
Originally Posted by: WestCoastPat 

I am not sure we can even mention him around here yet, but if Bozo is running, I think Boils should run also.

Can you just imagine all of his TV spots done in Flash? LOL

Has anyone else noticed....since Obama took office, Boils hasnt been heard from here?.....Im just sayin.....lol
You're preaching to the choir. Nobody here has expressed any support for her candidacy.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum