Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
its better to be up even at a still date rather than laying dead somewhere.
owners still have give out draws and laying dead on the road gives the help too much time to get into trouble in town.
yes i have played many blanks in my life
BUT
you always have a shot when the awnings are open
with it and all for it
john 777

UserPostedImage
Still dates are alive and well and still a very efficient way to quickly lose what ever winter money you have left.

Let's get this economy moving! Work some still dates and then get a sucker job to pay the bills until the good spots start.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Shows sometime play here in the spring but the city makes it costly.
The city permit is high and is only good Mon. thru Sun. if you want to play two weekends you need two permits.
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
Originally Posted by: Scott 

A friend of mine worked this one location the last 2 weeks of july for years. Built it up and made a good name for himself and good money.

Two years ago, he was told the city wasn't going to issue him a permit for that year. He ask why, they said the "city" was going to have a fund raiser and had hired an out of state show.

My friend said, " I don't care if you have your own show, but yours in 3 months after mine" they said " we only allow one show per year, and ours is going to be that show"

He appealed to the Mayor who shut him down 2 minutes into the conversation.

..................... But......................

This year, everythings good. Permits are granted, the Mayor will be taken out to dinner, and passes for the show!

::: We can't control the wind, but we can adjust the sails::: 👍

Sometimes you just have to "grease the skids" with a little green!
A friend of mine worked this one location the last 2 weeks of july for years. Built it up and made a good name for himself and good money.

Two years ago, he was told the city wasn't going to issue him a permit for that year. He ask why, they said the "city" was going to have a fund raiser and had hired an out of state show.

My friend said, " I don't care if you have your own show, but yours in 3 months after mine" they said " we only allow one show per year, and ours is going to be that show"

He appealed to the Mayor who shut him down 2 minutes into the conversation.

..................... But......................

This year, everythings good. Permits are granted, the Mayor will be taken out to dinner, and passes for the show!

::: We can't control the wind, but we can adjust the sails::: 👍
Back in the late 1970's well into the 1980's, my hometown had at least two, usually three carnivals a year, two in the Spring, and the Homecoming Festival the weekend after Labor Day. World of Pleasure Shows, Motor State Shows, McDonagh's Amusements, Crown Amusements, Pugh Shows all played here back then. But a couple of business owners complained about them, the mayor hated carnivals, the police did not want to work overtime during carnival weekends, and after 1987 carnivals were basically told to 'beat it.' A shame, really, because folks I have talked to that played our town back then said it was always a great place to play, everyone made money. The Homecoming was moved to the end of August and reduced in size (name changed to Wheelfest to reflect the auto history of the area), small, basically kiddie ride midway for years, only in the last ten or so years have they expanded the midway offering again. Schmidt Amusements played the Wheelfest last August. But it's just a shell of an event compared to what the old Homecoming Festival was. The city did have a carnival with the firworks in June for a couple of years (2005, 2006). But we have not had a still date in town since the Spring of 1987. Makes me kinda wonder what it would take to have one now....hmmmm....there are locations that could be used.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
I like the idea of a town having a spring carnival, and a fall one.

But when a show or shows keep coming back to fill their open schedule i guess it becomes a problem.

for atleast 3 or 4 years in a row we had a show coming into my local mall every few weeks or every month of the season.

the township finally got involved and put an end to all those shows coming in. for a few years the mall went with
no shows coming in. but last year an agreement was made between the township and the mall to start having the
shows back.

how ever heres the catch, only two shows per year can come into the mall lol. Good enough i guess.
Originally Posted by: ringmaster 

A question from Ben got me thinking.

I know how that goes...

lol anyways on the topic at hand. While Still dates aren't "outlawed" here. The city has made it pretty pointless for a show to try and setup in city limits. Lots of jumping through hoops, license this, authorization that. We get a few shows in a year, usually the same dinky show. I'm not sure when our city started this procedure, but there was one year, where the show in question would play one city block at a time practically....all summer long. Many places 4 or more times in a few month span.

All guessing on my part, but I would imagine that was one of the things that kick-started this new way of dealing with the carnivals. As there would be no way this show could afford to go through the above procedure every week lol.

UserPostedImage

Justin
A question from Ben got me thinking.
Still dates have been outlawed in Memphis for years now[angry0]
What is the situation in your home towns.