Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Ok, thank you.
Carnival buff,

I just got some time to check Snyders website and swanks. Both websites look freshly updated and both shows still show some hurricane pictures in their ride lineup pictures. so that tells me they probaly do still both own a hurricane. Thanks.
I Know my question kind of got lost talking about the different manufacturer's, but does anyone know this? Two more shows that did or used to have a Hurricane in Pennsylvania are Swank's Steel City Shows, owned by Bill Swank and Snyder's Amusements, owned by Donald Snyder. Anyone know if they still have them? Thank you.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by JustJeff

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Scott

I got a beef with the designers of the "hurricane" The way they "flex" the tubs out so the riders are in a simi up right position isn't near as fun as the old Saturn six where your body was Paraellel with the sweeps. Or at least that's how I remember it as a kid.

Man I respectfully disagree with you on that one..I rode the heck out of the Hurricane on the show I was with,plus I ran it,but the 2 times I rode a Saturn 6,it hurt my neck so bad I couldn't wait for the ride to end..Maybe it was just me..I don't know....jeff

I totally agree Jeff. The 2 times I ever rode a Saturn 6 I thought I was going to break a hip. I'm all for a good thrill but I get all the broken bones I need on tear down....
Yes as far as I know AH did build a G/M Hurricane, an invention of Norman Bartlett. Clyde Mulligan/Portable Rides then bought them from AH - T/M'ed and renamed the piece to Saturn Six.

I remember the Steck and Stapf G/M Hurricane which Pinetar mentions. That piece was booked on Conklin when I saw it. IH engine on it I think.

Some engines on the Saturn 6 were Diesel as the one RAS had. I recall a post awhile ago that these engines imported from the UK ran hot. The ride on RAS was converted to electric drive after the first season.

TiltCharles asks: “are the any allen herschell hurricanes around still?”
Yes I’ve seen pics of one at Coney Island.
Edit Update --- photo was a Saturn Six.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

I believe the AH version would have been the original and it was called the Hurricane. I think it was gas powered.

The last one I saw was themed as a red and white spiral cane, it belonged to Staff & Steck and it toured with their primo pieces; Monster, Holiday Bounce, Spelunker, Cake Walk etc.

Some old ride jocks/owners here may remember it.

Never knew of AH making one -- let me know if you can find more info on this for my collection, pinetar --

PS - we need to work on the manuals app for the iPhone - just think -- documentation at ur fingertips for rides --
Two more shows that did or used to have a Hurricane in Pennsylvania are Swank's Steel City Shows, owned by Bill Swank and Snyder's Amusements, owned by Donald Snyder. Anyone know if they still have them.
I believe the AH version would have been the original and it was called the Hurricane. I think it was gas powered.

The last one I saw was themed as a red and white spiral cane, it belonged to Staff & Steck and it toured with their primo pieces; Monster, Holiday Bounce, Spelunker, Cake Walk etc.

Some old ride jocks/owners here may remember it.
UserPostedImage
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by cny_chris

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Majestic Fan1982

Yes i highly agree that used hurricanes are over priced.

Based on what?

Based on just about any used ride is going to be over priced. so of course your going to see hurricanes being over priced. No matter if its an older model or newer model.

60,000 doesn't buy you much nowadays, and with this ride, I'd suspect at that price the ride would need some significant work to run good and look good.
Quote:

quote:

comparing the older model that came out and the newer dartron it would make common sense that the used dartron hurricanes would be priced the highest. But even the older Hrubretz models still go for $100,000 to $200,000 used.

A used Hrubretz hurricane priced at $60,000 would atleast get you some money and you can put that money into your show. Maybe not for new rides but some other projects.

On the market today you cant price rides at top dollar. Today if you price rides at top dollar they just sit around sometimes for years.
an example is Majestic Midways Super sizzler its been for sale for 4 years now at $125,000 they are being very firm on their price tag. and will not sell the ride any cheaper.

Of course no matter how well you take care of your ride and how much work you put into the ride. You cant sell the ride at top dollar these days. Thats why you only have two options. Keep what you own and just dont sell anything at all. Or if you do want to sell a ride you have to sell it dirt cheap. Then once the ride is gone you wonder to yourself why the heck did i even sell it to begin with. because you dont get a good amount of money for the ride.
{Quote}
majestic Midways sold their Hrubretz hurricane for $180,000 but the reason they price their used rides so high is before they put this ride up for sale. They put a brand new compresser in. alot of new electrical work, among tons of other face lifts to this ride. so your not just paying for the ride but you are also paying for all that work they put into the ride.

Considering a new one is likely somewhere north of $350,000, whoever bought it got a deal, if it was in as good of shape as you say it was.
Quote:

They purchased this ride in 1976 for $78,000 sold it for $180,000
I doubt a Hrubretz hurricane brand new in the 70's went for $350,000
for 78,000 tho this sounds to me it was a used hurricane they picked up.
{Quote}
Most used rides are over priced anyways. and it isnt even worth selling rides these days. Probaly better to just do trade ins. Of course you want that money in your pocket but the way the amusement market is today its just better to trade in a major ride for a differnt major ride depending on what your looking for to improve your show.

Trade ins? Last I had heard, unless the ride is in demand or a manufacturer has a buyer for it, don't even bother mentioning a trade in. In fact, I'd believe you would do better selling a good ride yourself, instead of even thinking about trading it in. Most shows are going to run a ride until they can find a buyer anyways.

{Quote}

Trade ins nobody wants to do trade ins but if its your last option and both shows have their eye on something they want. then its fine. Thats why you see alot of show owners putting on their used amusement ad's they put the price of the ride and also put or trade in for other ride or of = value.

So they are basically leaving their options open if they dont get the money for the ride. Chris its pretty bad when you can buy a beautiful house really cheap these days. But you cant find a beautiful new amusement ride priced cheap. Thats why when you see people post on here about a new ride that just came out. and they ask everybody on here when am i going to see this ride in my area?

The really big amusement outfits will be the 1st ones going after the new rides. Of course alot of the smaller shows might want that new ride also. But you wont see it on the smaller shows for 10 + years when the price tag starts to really drop lol.

A small show has to have a darn good amazing season to purchase a brand new amusement ride. My friends question me everyday about why do they see the same old rides year after year at the local carnival? I reply and tell them go on the internet and go look at all the brand new rides out their and check out the price tags. Then you will know why you dont see brand new rides on smaller shows.

But you can also look at it this way. Majestic Midways purchased the Remix and Super shot last year. Oscars had the new expo wheel. Skelly's had the used Typhoon. Yeah it might be used but to me its new on the midway.

Then this year Majestic Midways Purchased the wisdom himalaya in place of the Remix, and a used Sky Diver. Jim Houghton purchased the Expo wheel. S&S purchased the new Vertigo, and i believe they picked up a nice looking Zipper also. Oscars bought a Pirate ship type ride, and a bear affair.

The ride doesnt have to be brand new to be considered new on the midway. Its always new on the midway to me because the show never had this ride before. So to buy these rides wether they be brand new or used these smaller shows had a very good season between the end of 2008 to this current year.

until a show has a very good season you are going to see the same rides year after year. Most shows i noticed are just adding to their ride lineup. They arent even bothering putting up a ride for sale to get enough money to buy another ride. It seems if the season is really good for them they go out and buy a nice looking used ride. Usally you see a show selling a ride before purchasing a newer ride.

Not the last few years. Im sure alot of these shows want to sell off some of their rides. But they know they arent going to get top dollar for the ride so they dont even bother selling it. smart move until the market gets better.
The Saturn-6 (Saturn) has had a couple mfgrs:
Mulligan
Portable Rides
AE Associates

(all from Florida) - I don't recall it having anything to do with Allen Herschell