Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Hello; Like many people in this business I went to college and got a degree before coming back to do what I really wanted to do, and I never heard this said better by any professor or in any text book. My brokering site is pretty much just me, but I hope to remember this article when I get big enough to have employees. thanks, Max http://www.*.com
You can be happy and still complain Some people need to complain, in order to be happy. However, if they're bringing other people down, they've crossed the line.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
I've always heard nobody likes a crybaby.
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
i agree one hundred precent I tell my help all the time if your not happy the road runs both ways my way and thiers. They usually look at me w/that stupid look and say you mean "You want me to leave" and i tell them if your not happy then I'm not happy w/the job you are doing. I had a guy this year worked one of my games. Boy could he win money, but he was allways complaining about this or that, You know stupid little things. The help comes to me and says can you please talk to him. So we talked and boy this guy was a flake I told him the same thing and he took it like an insult started threatning me and everything. Morale: when the hole crew complains then I would say time to go.
well said professor......
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
Written by Jay Goltz 

It was a blog post in which there was a follow up:

In my last post, I wrote about my desire to have happy people working for me. Perhaps I could have been clearer when I said that I fire unhappy people. Instead of unhappy, I probably should have said disrespectful (to others, not me), incompetent, unreasonable, undependable, irresponsible, unproductive, dysfunctional (I did say that one), angry, whiny or mean — and beyond a manager’s ability to repair (actually, I said that, too). I think most people understood the context of my post, but there were a few comments or questions that required a response.

First of all, more than one commenter substituted the word “cheerful” for happy. I don’t care about cheerful. I care about the list above. Am I sure that my employees are not just acting happy? No! I lost my happy meter. But if they are just acting, that’s O.K., too. Not preferred, but O.K.

When you are in the middle of a recession, the true character of an organization comes out. How is the communication? Are cutbacks handled in a fair and reasonable way? What is being done to react to the new economics? At my company, I appreciate the fact that everyone is working together to get back on track and that my managers can spend all of their time and energy improving operations instead of dealing with issues that cannot be fixed.

I also appreciate that I have good, hard-working people with good attitudes who appear to like working for me. Am I delusional? Maybe. Perception is my reality. They have been here an average of nine years, many more than 20. My first business, Artists Frame Service, is now 20 times the size of the average picture-framing company, making it the largest in the industry. The fact that I have happy employees is not unrelated.

In response to some of the commenters, let me emphasize that I do understand, as I said in the post, that there are many bad bosses. I get it. And firing is certainly not a cure for bad management. It was suggested that we “first try direct communication with the offending party.” I am sorry if anyone got the impression that my managers and I are running around firing people on a whim. As I wrote, we counsel, we listen, and we listen some more when employees raise problems and issues. I encourage and appreciate complaints. If I fired everyone who had complained at some point, there would be very few people here. I would have had to fire myself.

We get complaints of all kinds, and we deal with them — whether it is that the toilet paper is too rough, the lighting is bad or that a manager is not doing a good job. Some complaints are legitimate, some are not, some are about issues that can’t be fixed. If there is a problem with something that someone is doing, we sit down, in private, and discuss the problem. We will do this three or four times. But I have learned that there is a point of no return. No return on your time and energy, and no return on the damage done to customers and employees.

Some people need to work somewhere else, usually to the relief of everyone else. We document. We have a witness. We don’t yell. We also don’t try to win the argument when the employee says it isn’t his fault.

Keep in mind, this blog is written for small businesses. I understand that big business has many different issues when it comes to firing people. Many corporations have legal departments that have no responsibility for productivity, corporate culture, customer service or profits, for that matter. That’s their problem.

Small companies usually don’t have legal departments. They probably should have a labor lawyer, one who counsels on how to manage and fire people legally. Don’t ever want to get sued? Don’t ever fire anyone — and live with the problems. I might add, I have never been sued for firing someone. And I’m tired of hearing people use the desire to avoid lawsuits as an excuse for not taking responsibility for running a company in a productive manner.

It isn’t always fun or easy being the boss. Me? I’m happy. My employees appear to be happy. Then again, maybe I am delusional. Works for me.

UserPostedImage

We had a guy that got chewed out for not wearing a show hat. he told my son that he wasn't happy & would be leaving at the end of the week. Jimmy told him no, he could leave right now & we'd get his pay ready!
He stayed all season & wanted to come back the next year!
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by pizzaman

So true. Good help draws good people and runs off the bad. Bad help draws bad people and runs off the good.

Absolutely. I know it's a cliche, but one bad apple can spoil the bunch. I have told ticket sellers in the past that if they are that unhappy, I will get their remaining pay ready and show them how to get to the bus station. Sometimes, as much as you don't want to be the bad guy and tell someone their services are no longer needed, you just have to do it. I did it a couple of times last season.

Thanks for posting that, Scott. Very good read.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
i alays believed you hav to macke a good enviremont for your empoyes macke them feel that the part of the copany includ them in every thing you can using words such as us or we just recieved a new contract or we have a new bulding suonds better then i have a new contract or the company has a new bulding macke them feel like there part of the company . having contest on who might recieve the employee of year award might be a 2 doller pin but have them vote on it helps bulds moral. macke them relize that every position in the company is important even the garbage man it all has to work so we can acheive the same goal as a team .there is a lot of things you can do to macke them feel happey in there work envirment but i do not believe there is one thing as much as a number of little thtngs we do on a daily basis and of course there are some people vwho or just *******s and need to get rid of them becouse they become a disease like the plage and it spreads like wildflower u need to cut um at the legs as soon as posable
this what we do.
So true. Good help draws good people and runs off the bad. Bad help draws bad people and runs off the good.