Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
for sure cny chris, that would be cool
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
A few months ago this topic came up and I posted that a good friend of mine, RC Cole has one of these rides in good condition in his barn near Covington, Virginia. I spoke with RC at that time and he indicated that he would be more than happy to work out a deal with any prospective buyers. Sutton shows also had one of these rides that was working in the late 80's in Vinton, Va which joins Roanoke. I doubt if this ride was ahead of its time. This is just a cumbersome ride with multiple loading and lacked capacity to make money on today's midways when capacity and riders per hour are the norm.
Monty

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Some rides bring in the bucks, some appeal to the fans. The Turbo was, shall we say, ho hum. It was not a winner as far as the showman was concerned.

I've had several folks tell me that the ride was out before its time, hence the flop. I'd be interested to see what it would do on a midway today. Add an acre of diamondplate, LED turbos, a mic man, and see how one would do... [}:)][:D]
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
I heard that the clever trailer layout is common to oil derricks. I saw the radar/turbo prototype being sloughed by Jerry Barber and his partner on the
caravele, in maybe 67, booked in with Gooding in Maumee, Ohio.

Jerry later was employed by Chance and within 2 or 3 years, Jerry left and started his own co.

They did have trouble folding the sweeps.

Just to note that our Reverchon grnd mnt Skooter came down in 3.5 hours by my pa. Best I could do was 4. Skydiver came down in 4 also, another jerry was foreman.
UserPostedImage
oh yea, the hydraulics are a nightmare on that ride
violence is the last refuge of the incompetent....AYN RAND
Cool to watch, but it was called by many "A One Hundred Thousand Dollar Light Tower"
Hydraulics donker
Some rides bring in the bucks, some appeal to the fans. The Turbo was, shall we say, ho hum. It was not a winner as far as the showman was concerned.
UserPostedImage
That very same ride was last run in 2000 in two spots. Elk Grove and Placerville, CA. Been in storage ever since but I heard it was still operational.
Patrick McGuire
Stockton, CA
pmcguire16@comcast.net