Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
several yaers ago the La Grande wheel was set up for the Super Bowl in the parking lot of the stadium for the week activities. The Super Bowl is in Dallas this year, has anyone heard if the wheel will be at the new Cowboys stadium for the event. if so, that would be a good photo op of the set-up.
Here's a link I found of the wheel. Pretty impressive looking.

http://www.flickr.com/ph...36874382@N05/3812201577/ 

that article was way back in 2001, packed in 22 containers when it was shipped to RCS from manufacturer. By now RCS may have designed special ways to rack this ride, I really don't know. I'm on east coast and have never seen this ride (only in the magazines and what little photos there are of it on the web), thats why I posted here, maybe someone from RCS can tell us the facts, and show us how its done.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by wvscott

I am looking at my May 2001 issue of Carousel (now called Carnival) magazine when the La Grande wheel debuted at the Houston Livestock Show.

Here is what the article says: The ride is the largest portable ride in the western hemisphere, requires seventeen 18-wheel trucks for transport, takes a week to set up, requires a 60-ton crane to assemble, packs into 22 containers. It rises 15 stories high and expands 50 meter across. 36 gondolas can carry 288 riders per cycle, the ride features over 50,000 lights. Six employees are necessary to operate the ride and a crew of at least a dozen are needed for tear down which takes 4-5 days.

Surely someone on this board works for RCS, and has some photos.

17 trucks and 22 containers....So it's safe to assume some of the containers are pup loads then right?
I am looking at my May 2001 issue of Carousel (now called Carnival) magazine when the La Grande wheel debuted at the Houston Livestock Show.

Here is what the article says: The ride is the largest portable ride in the western hemisphere, requires seventeen 18-wheel trucks for transport, takes a week to set up, requires a 60-ton crane to assemble, packs into 22 containers. It rises 15 stories high and expands 50 meter across. 36 gondolas can carry 288 riders per cycle, the ride features over 50,000 lights. Six employees are necessary to operate the ride and a crew of at least a dozen are needed for tear down which takes 4-5 days.

Surely someone on this board works for RCS, and has some photos.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by chuck

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

I got these from that webcam, not many pics though, at the end of the teardown.
http://good-times.websho...om/album/565588612jzzLTZ 
I'm also not positive that is the La Grande wheel, but it is at DelMar.

That's the other big wheel. Which is massive.

There was more than one spoke load, 3-4 if I remember correctly.
All Skywheels should be yeller.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Flying Coaster

That's the other big wheel. Which is massive.

All Skywheels should be yeller.
La Grande Wheel is difficult to film or photo because it doesn't play every spot. Most of the fairgrounds outhere are fenced in. Can be difficult to get in and take photos of the set up.

Most likely this is the reason for the lack of photos.
Last year I posted asking if anyone had any photos of the RCS La Grande wheel being set up, torn down or racked. After much looking on the internet by many of you, the result was no photos were available to view.

It's one year later and I will ask again if anyone has any of these photos posted for viewing. A few years back the San Diego fair had a webcam time lapse that showed the midway lot to begin to end of the fair. It was cool as you caould see all the rides erected then see the fair in action, then watch it torn down. As expected the La Grande wheel and the Fighter were the last 2 rides to leave the lot. This video is no longer posted for viewing, unless someone here has it saved.

You would think there would be all kinds of photos and info on the web since this is the largest of all wheels that move in the US.

Thanks to anyone that can help

PS: I remember a nice spread in Carnival magazine when they first purchased this wheel that dicussed how it was moved.