Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Kennywood Park, with great fanfare, added that new Roll-o-plane noting that it especially built for them, for the "Lost Kennywood" section. It didn't stay there for that many years and I always wondered why they did away with it. Capacity?
Nice to see it still operating at least.
Keep in mind that Pat Guthrie's Gold Medal unit is not designed to play large fairs or big events. His Jules and Beck show is capable of playing big spots, but Gold Medal is designed more just for shopping center still dates and small events mainly in the greater Atlanta region. Some of the neighborhoods and communities he plays are lower income. For these folks, the chance to ride on anything is a treat. The don't have the same jaded pretentiousness that higher income people do. Gold Medal is filling a niche and doing it well.
I talked with Pat a few days while he was set up on the outskirts of the Walmart in Griffin, Ga. and noticed he had the Heart Flip operating: quite a sight to see. The last time I saw this ride was when I booked my grind show with Peachtree Rides, now operated by his brother Ray, back around 1990.
I miss the soumd of gas engine driven rides.
But in a society that throws away perfectly good things in the name of newer, bigger, and flashier things it is DEFINITELY inspirational to see that someone cared enough to restore and maintain these nice older rides!!

Remember, it was these rides that gave definition to the carnival/fair midway to begin with, not the newer, flashier rides of today. We should take heart that there are still some shows out there like Gold Medal Shows.

As a matter of fact, it is the American ethos of throwing away perfectly good, quality things in the name of attaining newer, bigger, and flashier things that has contributed heavily to the financial and environmental mess that we are in today.

The Guthrie Family has 3 shows. Gold Medal, Jules & Beck, and Peachtree Rides
In reality, small shows don't have the cash for such flash.
UserPostedImage
The reality is that there are times when you do need a "new" flashy piece on the midway. Depending on how competitive the area you are in is, you may need it to keep the spot. Lesser of a reason, yes, the public does notice if you "bring the same old rides" every year.

If you're a small show, with 10-12 pieces, playing smaller spots, you can get away with taking an old classic piece, flashing it up, and putting it on the midway. You actually almost have to do it, because a new piece isn't going to pay for itself fast enough (yes, I've run some numbers in the past to see what the ridership needs to be to cover the expenses).

That being said, the example used above of a Freakout, is more of a piece for a mid-sized show, with some strong county-fair type events. Those are the spots that are going to earn the cash to pay for the new ride. And I'd venture to say that looking at each ride individually, it won't pay for itself -- but looking at the rides as a whole, there will still be something left at the end of the day that's profit.

There's another way to look at a flashy new piece. If your event is one of the smaller attendance/lower gross spots on the show's route, you're likely going to end up with more/better equipment than you deserve. The show isn't going to not set something up, just because it's a lesser spot, unless there is a large expense in setting up/operating a piece, that won't be covered by the gross.

When it all comes down to it, I still say flash is cash. If you have the flashy pieces, the bub count high, the right music, good mic men, a good lot layout, and a strong community event, you will do well at a spot. People do notice, and yes, they still vote with their dollars...
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
It doesn't matter what the people want, or who is crying, it is all about taking your profits to the bank the next day. There are so many small gigs that don't require much. Look at all the small firemen and church events.

As the spot grows, a larger show will fill the need, but the money/people must be there or why bother, just because Thrillmother likes the piece. He can go out of his way to find it.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

I don't disagree with you on that.

However, people, regular people on the midway, do indeed notice a difference. I wouldn't have thought that either until this week.

UserPostedImage
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

There are smaller events where a classic ride line-up is just fine. Not every event needs a Freakout.

there are events that are glad to get any midway. agree with you pintar that not every event needs a freakout even tho they think they do.
I don't disagree with you on that.

However, people, regular people on the midway, do indeed notice a difference. I wouldn't have thought that either until this week.