Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
From a longtime observer of Shows, it has always seemed to me that Shows were more plentiful and bigger in the 70s to early 80s. I don't know if that jibes with the bank accounts or not, but I would think that it would be pretty reasonable to assume so.

But now I will concede that I see more of the "super-spectaculars", costing a gazillion dollars I'm sure, today more than I have ever seen before.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
The Most money i ever seen on the road was in the 70s on long Island with B&B Ride Company all the other shows Newtons -Destefano-growler-fragapane all grew up through them they had the Island sewed up then.and it was nothing but money
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

If you were a teen, what would you rather do than go to a carnival?

1.Having sex with your computer.

2.Having sex with your girlfriend/boyfriend. Sex is ok today for teens, it was taboo.

3.Discussing sex with Daniel

4.Puter games

5.Hanging out on MCW and dreaming about racked rides, Divers, bub counts and ride lists

Now that's living the dream...
If you were a teen, what would you rather do than go to a carnival?

1.Having sex with your computer.

2.Having sex with your girlfriend/boyfriend. Sex is ok today for teens, it was taboo.

3.Discussing sex with Daniel

4.Puter games

5.Hanging out on MCW and dreaming about racked rides, Divers, bub counts and ride lists
UserPostedImage
As a customer on the midway I think you guys are definitely losing the teens to the computers and video games. They are just too lazy to go out to the fair when they can sit on their computer at home or play video games at home. Of course some of this is also to be blamed on the parents who are also too lazy to leave the house and since they can buy their kid a 10$ video game and keep them busy all day there is no need to take them to the fair (unfortunately some people subscribe to this mentality). However portable music players are more popular than ever so I can see why its hard to rake them in when you can get them to the fair, if everyone has Ipod earbuds in their ears or talking on their cell phones its impossible to get them to even look at you. So if they do come to the fair they spend the entire fair with earbuds on or talking on their cell phones.

This behavior is more common in urban areas however. It does help that a lot of fairs around here are in rural areas where the kids and teens tend to be less lazy (some of them work on farms or are very active in the 4H etc.) but if you get a carnival in an urban area its very hard to get the teens to come out since they are simply too busy with other things and when they do come out they do nothing but loiter and stand in circles sharing their various electronic devices.
Quote:

quote:

YOU MEAN WHEN THERE WAS A DEMOCRAT IN OFFICE

He probably means the only time, in most of our lives, when Democrats didn't own both Houses of Congress.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
The 70s Alfred Wall shows, 10 good weeks.

I think the best fairs attract families not just teens. I call our local
fair a babysitting service $5 gate, $12 armband, give em $20 and pick em up in 4 1/2 hours, less than $5 bucks a hour.
Alabama 18 time National Champions Roll Tide
The Clinton years for me
The-Novelty-Man
1975 to 1985 for me. Good luck to ALL in the next 4 years. I mean that in the most sincerest way of anything I have ever posted on MCW.

OH' NO Obama

"I'm Just, SICK WIT-IT"
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by alibiguyny

Quote:

quote:

| Post #17 | Posted - 01/04/2009 : 1:36:40 PM

Late 90's for us...

YOU MEAN WHEN THERE WAS A DEMOCRAT IN OFFICE. DARN WRIGHT MY FRIEND. I LOOK FORWARD TO ALL THE NEW SOCIAL PROGRAMS AND HANDOUTS..... I CANT WAIT FOR OBAMA MY BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER.....I HOPE HE PASSES THE BUTTER AND DONT STUTTER....

I've never thought of it like that...This Osama guy might be alright after all. [xx(][xx(][xx(]