Post a reply
Security Image:
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

I will never be convinced that the Pavilion was NOT profitable. Every year I went to Myrtle Beach, and there were many years since then I was there, the Pavilion was always packed. The only time it seemed to suffer was when they went to the gated admission for a season or so. Otherwise, there were always good crowds...rides were always running with not absolutely full, but solid loads, and it was just a great beachside park atmosphere.

This summer I went to Myrtle Beach for the first time since the Pavilion was demolished. Just a big empty lot. It was one of the single most depressing things I've seen in a long time.

I know the "locals" are glad it's gone....but I'll bet you that most of those downtown Ocean Drive merchants have seen a decline in sales revenues because the Pavilion was one thing that would draw people into downtown. The lights, the sounds, the smells....all of it. Dowtown Myrtle Beach is now dead.

BTW, the Pavilion's old Wave Swinger is out at Broadway at the Beach along with the Huss Pirate and Caterpillar.

That is a very much depressing site! It was like visiting a state fair any day of the week just had that type of effect on you, Ive got 7 months before im moving to Myrtle Beach i was sure hoping that it would be there by the time i got to move there, But one thing for sure it was packed day in and day out!
interesting article, apears that hard rock is not paying some bills.

little timeline via screamscape.
Quote:

quote:

(8/30/08) I’ve been trying to track down a strange story all week that indicated that Maximum RPM may be closed. At first we heard that the ride was seen making a test run, but since then we’ve heard other confirming reports that the ride has been closed daily for most of the last week. There is also a rumor going around claiming that MaxRPM may actually remain closed for the rest of the season, but things get even more interesting when the reason why is discussed. I’m not ready to reveal everything I’ve heard just yet, but if the rumors are true MaxRPM is not closed for mechanical reasons, but rather a monetary reason. More on this story as it unfolds…

Quote:

quote:

(9/5/08) I’ve been hesitant to post the exact details of this rumor for the past two weeks, but I’ve heard the same story reconfirmed now from a variety of different and trusted sources.
That said, the rumor going around is that Hard Rock Park and Premier Rides are having a dispute over nonpayment issues. According to one story, Hard Rock Park’s excuse for not making their final payments to Premier has to do MaxRPM not being ready in time for the grand opening of the park. However my sources claim that Hard Rock Park may also have late payment issues with a variety of other vendors, including B&M (Led Zeppelin), SCS Interactive (Reggae River Falls, Garage Jam and the water effects on Slippery When Wet) along with Bay Fireworks who was contracted for the nightly Bohemian Rhapsody show.
The Premier part of the story gets interesting however… because if true, Premier was said to have finally recalled their support personnel from Hard Rock Park sometime in August. A short time later however, MaxRPM encountered a glitch forcing HRP staff to call Premier for technical support. However when Premier remotely logged into the ride’s computer systems however, it seems they essentially turned off the coaster, blocking HRP staff from accessing the system. It wasn’t long before Slippery When Wet, also a Premier Rides attraction, was also shut down for the rest of the season, though I don’t know if HRP just closed it themselves or if Premier shut them out of the system there as well. At this point I have not received a confirmation from either party on this story however, so stay tuned.

www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
myrtle beach is not the place for an all day theme park. the ocean and the beach is the draw. plenty of advertising within 100 miles and more. see ads on tv in the raleigh market all the time. only evening activities are going to get people away from the fun in the sun and sand. even the old pavilion was not very active during the day unless it was cloudy or rainy. evening crowds there and when they started charging admission the traffic went down. the location for hard rock is not an easy place to get in and out usually. 501 has the most traffic of any highway around the beach and is a pain to travel on usually. i try and avoid that area if possible. with the economy the way it is, this was not a good year to open a new park. they have tried several attractions in that area and none have fared to well. the outlet mall did good business until the new one opened down the road. traveling carnivals have a tough time around myrtle beach.
They could even put a haunted pirate ship there to replace the haunted mansion.....So many great ideas for a pier amusement park!
Yes indeed, a new wooden coaster with the Hurricane name, but MUCH smoother and not as back-breaking! [B)] A steel coaster and a woodie would be great!

~Ben
It would be nice if they would go ahead build what they want on the property,But put a large concrete pier out across the ocean in front of the old pavilion site use the same design of the old pavilion and put the rides over the water put a north and south entrance from the beach.That would put people back in the downtown area for sure plus add new rides like the freak out and maybe a new coaster.Heck call it the hurricane.
You nailed that right on Target! I thought so too myself, as with the old Pavilion, you could walk right off of the beach to the amusement park, but not so with Hard Rock Park. [:(] ...As you've got to drive a mile or two to get to it. When i went with a certain friend that lives down there, it was like i was going to the Waccama Pottery mall, when in my mind i wanted to stay right there on Ocean Blvd. where the old Pavilion was. B & C really did mess this one up, maybe they will put a " New Pavilion " type of place back there with a newer Pavilion building , and amusement rides of today such as a KMG Freak Out or FireBall, Flying Bobs, put back the Huss Rainbow, etc.. I heard rumors of a year ago that they were going to put beach shops there in the park's place, and maybe a roller coaster or two / and a few flat rides to go with them. ..who knows.

~Ben
I went this past july.....Nice theme and all.....But rather still have the pavilon anyday. They will never catch the magic or the pull the pavilion had in the downtown area. It was like what time sqaure is to new york city.
Although i'm glad Hard Rock Park is up and running at Myrtle Beach, i do get a lonely feeling inside seeing the old Pavilion area. When i was riding my ripstik skateboard on the sidewalk one night there along where the amusement park was, it was a spooky feeling knowing what was there with the Hydro Surge water ride, Hurricane coaster, & Rainbow at the front of the park. Now?, it's like a ghost town at night time. [V] That area of Myrtle Beach used to be Great night life, now it starts with the Ripley's museum building & Peaches Corner & on back. Makes you wonder if any 'ol joe know what used to be there doesn't it?, hmm... If B&C came up with some cool shops to go there and if they were to put the Pirate, Caterpillar, & Wave Swinger back there in the original Pavilion area, then, that'd satisfy me. [8D] ...And maybe bring back the CorkScrew rollercoaster.

I know the CorkScrew wasn't as big as the Hurricane was or lasted that long, but it did go upside down twice which was cool and fun. Never did it make me dizzy & i rode it alot when the Pavilion had it. Though, i do miss the Rainbow too, i hope they don't sell it off to another park or traveling carnival. Seeing the Rainbow all of those years was a family tradition, before we checked into the hotel for that week's stay, we just had to ride by to see the Rainbow. [8D]I have No clue whatsoever where they have the Rainbow stored. I know it had maintenance issues, but still, i hope they keep it or better yet, would be awesome if Family Kingdom bought it!

~Ben
Well I would agree except down here in Panama City the old Miracle Strip is still sitting vacant.....No development yet which is sad because I know that park made money too....lots of it. Always had big crowds there during the summer months. There have been some soft rumblings of another park bing built here in PC but nothing as of yet.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Jackpotter

I will never be convinced that the Pavilion was NOT profitable. Every year I went to Myrtle Beach, and there were many years since then I was there, the Pavilion was always packed. The only time it seemed to suffer was when they went to the gated admission for a season or so. Otherwise, there were always good crowds...rides were always running with not absolutely full, but solid loads, and it was just a great beachside park atmosphere.

This summer I went to Myrtle Beach for the first time since the Pavilion was demolished. Just a big empty lot. It was one of the single most depressing things I've seen in a long time.

I know the "locals" are glad it's gone....but I'll bet you that most of those downtown Ocean Drive merchants have seen a decline in sales revenues because the Pavilion was one thing that would draw people into downtown. The lights, the sounds, the smells....all of it. Dowtown Myrtle Beach is now dead.

BTW, the Pavilion's old Wave Swinger is out at Broadway at the Beach along with the Huss Pirate and Caterpillar.

Oh, I don't know if it was ever said it wasn't ptoffitable. Other things are more proffitable and alot less work for the land. I think the beach amusemnet areas are becoming a thing of the past because the land can be used for other purposes.