Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Check into gear motors as well.

Canadian members… Princess Auto has had these showing in their flyer booklets from time to time.
http://www.princessauto....fm?CTRY=CAN&INF=home 
Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated. I think I'm going to look into these "timing motors" and see what I can do, but for now I'm building it static until I free up more time. Just need a backwall and finish a bit of painting and it'll be ready to roll.
I get my motors from www.herbach.com  they have a catalog on the internet, look under motors, you can find the rpm your looking for, delivery is fast shipping is reasonable.
chuck walls
Thanks for the input. I have one on my swinger but I am not sure of the RPM's because it came out of an old fire alarm panel. I wanted to buy some more and was just wondering what RPM's people are using.
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
For any of my rides, be they adult, kiddie, IHC, etc. etc. I use pretty much the same rpm timing motors, since timing motors' rpms can be all over the place, I've tried to stick with those with rpms under 60 (think minute hand of a clock-that speed), and mine are more in the 15-20 rpm range if you can get them. I have some that are way too slow, like 5 rpms or so, so you have to keep your eyes open when the right rpms timing motors are available.
I put faller motors on my kiddie boats, and motor cycles, and swinger, the faller motors are 4 1/2 rpm's that's european, (german) and they run off a transfomer, us motors are 110 volts 5 rpm's, so if you want a motor, for your kiddie rides you need a 5 rpm timing motor, or a synchron motor about $ 20 alot cheaper then faller, and the rides run at the right speed, eventaully I 'll have all my rides run off 110 volt motors.
chuck walls
For the guys that use timing motors. What RPM's work well for HO scale rides? Majors? Kiddies? Any of the IHC rides?
It is what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
Here is the link for American Science and Surplus. I you are looking for motors and don't see them on the website, definitely give them a call, as being a surplus type place they add stuff to their inventory almost daily. If ever in the area I most definitely recommend a visit to one of their stores as it's quite a fascinating place!
http://www.sciplus.com/stores.cfm 
Thanks to the both of you![:D] I've been wanting to rig my Velare Giant Wheel to the masts but I built it for motion, all I need is to find the right motor, rig it, and finish the darn thing, same goes for my twin ELI's and as many of my rides I can make work. That way I can have something really cool to post on Youtube for ya'll. A link would be most sincerely appreciated![:p]
Kenny.

I'm not really sure what their original purpose is, but timimg motors have been around a long time, and have been quite inexpensive ($2-$3 each depending on the rpms. I've got many of mine thru the American Science and Surplus store which has locations in the Chicago area, I will try to find the link and post it. Someone please correct me, but I thought Don Cummons uses timing motors on his rides. If you can find these motors, stock up! They are completely silent and can be adapted well to power ride kits like IHC, RAH or scratch. They vary in RPMS, and like I mentioned there is no gearing or transformers to contend with, simply plug it in to any 110 outlet (you might have to splice on a plug)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by skywheel88

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Rockowheel

Yeah throw away the IHC motor. Use the Faller motors, or better yet I like using timing motors. Nice RPMs, very easy to adapt to the ride and just plug 'em in...no transformers etc. necessary.

Timing motors? What is that?