Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by RainbowBen

I got to thinking, instead of gears and driveshafts keeping the gondola upright on the Rainbow at all times, why not have the gondola free-swing/pivot like a Ferris Wheel seat on the lower arm instead? Some of you know how the Faller Rainbow is set up, right? Well, what i'm getting at is, you see that flat plastic piece that sits in the middle floor of the gondola where the axle comes through to hold it up? Why not do up a real Huss Rainbow the same way, with a solid metal/steel plate in the middle that would sit on the floor of the gondola & have a huge axle run through it & secure it with R-keys & pins. That way, the gondola will stay upright ALL of the time, and it would never tip or flip upside down, due to there wouldn't be any type of gears it'd be relying on to stay upright. So my point is, if Huss re-did the Rainbow / refurbished most around the world to make 'em safer, make it to where the gondola pivots free-swing like an Eli Wheel seat / Sky Wheel seat. So, the only gears would be the middle of the ride that makes it go.

~Ben

Well, first of all, I dont beleive the people in Sweden came out of th ride, the car came into the station crooked, and no matter what kind of restraint you have that would still be a problem. As for the free swing idea as they are built now, the gongola pivots from the bottom, so it would require a complete redesign of the gondola and the boom. I would say that since Rainbows have been around for nearly 30 years, and this is the first incident like this, that it is a proven design. I had heard rumors that it was a siezed bearing that had caused the accident, but until the findings are released it is all conjecture. Untill we know what really happened, we cant begin to find a solution.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
I got to thinking, instead of gears and driveshafts keeping the gondola upright on the Rainbow at all times, why not have the gondola free-swing/pivot like a Ferris Wheel seat on the lower arm instead? Some of you know how the Faller Rainbow is set up, right? Well, what i'm getting at is, you see that flat plastic piece that sits in the middle floor of the gondola where the axle comes through to hold it up? Why not do up a real Huss Rainbow the same way, with a solid metal/steel plate in the middle that would sit on the floor of the gondola & have a huge axle run through it & secure it with R-keys & pins. That way, the gondola will stay upright ALL of the time, and it would never tip or flip upside down, due to there wouldn't be any type of gears it'd be relying on to stay upright. So my point is, if Huss re-did the Rainbow / refurbished most around the world to make 'em safer, make it to where the gondola pivots free-swing like an Eli Wheel seat / Sky Wheel seat. So, the only gears would be the middle of the ride that makes it go.

~Ben