Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
If you want to check your own employees, that's your business. The law needs to stay out of it, though.

The government already knows what I do or don't have to hide. If I'm to dangerous to work at a fair, I need to be in prison. If I have the right to be hired by a carnival, then the 14th amendment guarantees that every other US citizen has that right, too.
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
i like the fact we have the checks, play'n the state fair of maine[ Bangor]hired a local and the quarry check came back he was a sexual offender, let him go, so yes lets check 'em all......
"NOW MICHAEL," said the teacher to the agressive youngster," what do you think your classmates would think of you if you were always kind and polite?"
" they'd think they could beat me up!...

" GO YANKEES "
im sorry guys but if you have nothing to hid . you have nothing to worry about[8)][8)][8)][8)][8)]
Quote:

quote:

I want to know if the Union County Sheriffs are gonna stop the 11 Sex Offenders with in a Mile of the Fair from going?????

For the guys that wonder why someone would hire a guy with a troubled past it's simple. The Carnival has always been a place for someone to start over and get second chances at a new life. It helps if the guy can move a Zyclon in 3 hours or a Super Himi in 2 hours. Or if the guy gets big money in a Joint....It's about what that person is NOW not then.

Amen.

Quote:

quote:

The right to be able to enjoy the event without walking away with sexual abuse.

Even if this was a right, I'm not the one taking it away. However, you're advocating stripping me of several rights, to ineffectually protect a hypothetical child, despite the fact that I've never abused a child, or have a criminal record that suggests I'd be any danger to anyone.
Quote:

quote:

For the guys that wonder why someone would hire a guy with a troubled past it's simple. The Carnival has always been a place for someone to start over and get second chances at a new life. It helps if the guy can move a Zyclon in 3 hours or a Super Himi in 2 hours. Or if the guy gets big money in a Joint....It's about what that person is NOW not then.

We don't always agree on stuff, but I've gotta agree with you on this one, Glenn.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Quote:

quote:

From a owners point of view mine and some other big time owners it goes like this....If you know you got a guy that has a past and might not pass a background check like in this case you don't send the guy to the spot. He gets the week off. Seen it done alot of times. There is plenty of warning to avoid this from happing. It's not like they lock the gates and check everyone once they are inside the Fairgrounds

Quote:

quote:

However, these new laws require a check on every person before they can get in the joint. It used to be that if you skipped out on the check, you could still work. That is no longer the case. Miss the check, and you've broken the law.

The law in Marysville is just a City thing. If I choose not to send someone there to work because of what they would be subjected to is not breaking a law. If the guy went there and avoided the check and worked that would be then. Just one more thing for the next check to find...lol

I want to know if the Union County Sheriffs are gonna stop the 11 Sex Offenders with in a Mile of the Fair from going?????

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowler Roller

What rights am I taking from a child?

That is not a right. Privacy, equal protection of the law, and being considered innocent until proven guilty, are rights.

Tell me how often children are abused by carnies, at a fair, then show me that it happens more often than in different places, with different people. Then we'll talk.

Quote:

quote:

There is no sure way to stop sexual abuse but there are steps that can be taked to help prevent it from happening.

Arbitrarily treating hard working people, with little to no access to children, like heinous criminals is not one of them.

Quote:

quote:

From a owners point of view mine and some other big time owners it goes like this....If you know you got a guy that has a past and might not pass a background check like in this case you don't send the guy to the spot. He gets the week off. Seen it done alot of times. There is plenty of warning to avoid this from happing. It's not like they lock the gates and check everyone once they are inside the Fairgrounds

However, these new laws require a check on every person before they can get in the joint. It used to be that if you skipped out on the check, you could still work. That is no longer the case. Miss the check, and you've broken the law.

Quote:

quote:

I am sick of all the cry babies here saying you are taking away my rights.

You sound like a dictator.

Quote:

quote:

If you don't like it, there are plenty of things you could do for a living.

And there are plenty of other places yo can go for your entertainment. Of course, none of them are any safer than a carnival with no background checks. God forbid people actually watch their damn kids, themselves.

Quote:

quote:

To the owners and operators, you need to start embracing these changes.

Bulls***. Owners and opperators need to boycott every state, county, city and fairboard who requires it. You need to tell them "f*** you. Every one of my employees is a human being, and deserves to be treated as such.

Well, I wouldnt say that we are crybabies. Losing rights is not something that should be taken lightly for any reason. There are many instances where the "great good" is used to justify the loss of rights. As for whether or not this is for the greater good, that remains to be seen. As usual the idea itself sounds good and seems to be a good one, but that doesnt mean it is a good idea. Now let me also be clear that just becuase I am not for the backround check, does not mean, I am condoning any abuse or hiring of criminals. I just dont think the government needs to be regulating that part of our business. I also dont think that if it is going to be done that we should be singled out. But There are many more industries that deal with children more than we do. These backround checks are an invasion of privacy. Hiring child molestors is certainly not the thing to do. There are laws that are supposed to prohibit it, however these backround checks are no limited to molestation. Now they are moving into other offences. It is certainly nice to know what your help has been up to, and if you wish to make company policies reguarding the hiring of them that is great, but that doesnt mean that just becuase you come to a new town, the city or state should get to know your whole life's history. The whole thing is once again asking you to prove that your a decent person. I would rather see things from the other side, persons who are child molestors and such, are on the national registry. There should simply be a policy to make sure your not on that list, not a backround check for anything you have ever done. Since these are mainly designed to keep out the child molestors. Anyway, my 2 cents there, I am sure there are plenty who will dissagree with me, and thankfully that is still your right to do, at least for now.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Benjibear

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bowler Roller

What rights am I taking from a child?

Granted, you are only going to catch the people that have been caught before. However, if you are stupid enough to get caught once, you are going to do it again. There is no sure way to stop sexual abuse but there are steps that can be taked to help prevent it from happening.

I will state it again, I don't agree that it should be just the carnies that are singled out. It should go beyond that but where do you draw the line? Well that line needs to be somewhere where the most likely preditors are and where they could get influance on the children. Most likeley somebody will still complain and feel like they are being discriminated againt.

Quote:

quote:

Oh, yeah that is really going to work. Why not this, if you know the guy has a past, why do you hire him and if you find out after he has been hired, fire him? If you knowling bring him to a spot and he abuses somebody, you would be just as liable as he is and should be added to the data base of sexual abusers with him. I just can't beleive how ignorant and stupid this statement is.

I am sick of all the cry babies here saying you are taking away my rights. The world is getting more complecated by the day and every industry and bussiness has to jump through more hoops today then even 10 years ago. I hear it from my clients about why does the building codes make you do _____. The simple answer is because it says so, but the more complicated answer is because it is for the best interest of the public. If you don't like it, there are plenty of things you could do for a living.

To the owners and operators, you need to start embracing these changes. You need to be one step ahead of the regulations. By kicking and screaming all the way it just looks like you have something to hide, you are guilty, and are in need of more regulations to straighten you out. If you follow this when something new comes up, you make an effort to comply with that, then and only then will this industry start having a positive image. Right now, carnies have a negative image and you just prove over and over again that your negitive image is deserved.

If a guy has done something in the past and is cool to me and is cool now that should'nt be a reason to fire him for something he done...Fire someone for what they are doing now not what they did in the past. There are alot of guys here that take care of their own just like the cops that take care of thier own when one of them does something bad....

Quote:

quote:

To the owners and operators, you need to start embracing these changes.

The change of being discriminated against? Nobody will embrace that. If they want to do Background checks for the Fair do it for the whole Fair and not just the Carnies. Then there might be a chance of people embracing it. What protects us from them? What protects the Carnie kids from the local offenders? They want to be sure the Carnival is safe for thier town. I want to be sure their town is safe for the Carnival.
What we are seeing is the end result of a witch hunt for abusers. The media has portrayed society today as being filled with abusers, to the point where the hype and hysteria overshadows the reality of the situation. I've heard a common statistic quoted many times, along the lines of "most of the victims of abuse knew their abuser". I've yet to see anything that's disproved the statement.

The problem today, is that we have been led down the path of having restrictions placed on our lives "for our own good", usually with the primary intention to eliminate any risk. Along with that goes the attitude of not taking responsibility for one's actions. This has led to the demands that the rights of many are trampled to protect some. I'm of the opinion that one can never completely eliminate all the risk out there -- and that we have to live with some risk, and be willing to live with the occasional incident.

If an abuser is caught, the punishment should be sufficient to discourage the undesirable behavior. And if the abuser has served their sentence, and been rehabilitated properly, there shouldn't be the concern about them reoffending. If the rehabilitation hasn't occurred, then the system is broken, and very much at fault for releasing a significant risk into the community.

Background checks have morphed some too. Used to be that they were an "innocent until proven guilty" type of thing, where the checks are run when there is a significant risk to life or national security. Today it's a "guilty until proven innocent" situation, which flies in the face of our "democratic" society.

Should a convicted abuser be on the midway? I think that depends on what the risk of them reoffending is. If they are a risk, no, they shouldn't be there -- and if they truly are a risk, what are they doing out on the streets? But if they've served their time, been rehabilitated, and are of little or no risk of reoffending, why should they not be an employed, productive member of society? They could just as easily be the clerk down at the local WalMart, the cashier at the Kwik-E-Mart, or the groundskeeper at the local park. All places where they're still exposed to children, and most of which won't require that background check.

This whole mess has spiraled out of control. The regulars here can recall some of the discussions that have been had about harassment of members while they are taking pictures on carnival lots. The only thing most of these folks are guilty of is being a white male, alone with a camera.

What this all comes down to, is if someone is that much of a risk, they shouldn't be on the streets. If they are no longer a risk, then leave them be, they've been punished for their crime. And for the rest of us (carnies and non-carnies alike), who aren't offenders, quit harassing us, trampling on our rights, and treating us like common criminals.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy