Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by carnivalgirl

The officer at our meeting stated we could do "green help" checks thru the local police as long as we also sent in the information into the IL state police even if they worked for us only one day.

I had a conversation with the Department of Labor today. This was apparently the original plan for hiring green help who would work one location. What they found out after the fact, is that when the local police run a convictions check, it also checks the FBI database and the FBI records are not allowed to be given to private citizens. Therefore the local police will not be able to give you the documentation required, and they will be required by the Department of Labor.

They are making more changes in the laws and will be introducing them soon. They have promised to try to keep me apprised of the changes.

I have a favor to ask of you all; if you know a board member or something like that with OABA, could you have them contact me if they are involved with the Illinois issues. There are some serious issues that need to be discussed before this situation gets worse. What was described to me today in what the final amendments of the law will look like did not sound good.

Thank you,
Bill

The Peeler Group
32 West Main Street
PO Box 688
Fonda, NY 12068
www.carnivalbackgroundchecks.com 
I am confused about this law. If the intent is to protect the kids from sex offenders why is the law so vague, not inclusive and looking for everything. Sex offenders could and more likely be local.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Matt,

The Department of Labor will be enforcing these laws. As for the definition of "Operator" the definition as in the law is:

7. "Operator" means a person, or the agent of a person, who owns or controls or has the duty to control the operation of an amusement ride or an amusement attraction at a carnival or fair. "Operator" includes an agency of the State or any of its political subdivisions.

It does not seem to include games etc. I am going to clarify this as well. Thank you for the info carnivalgirl; I am suppose to attend a meeting next month too.

http://www.carnivalbackg.../IllinoisCarnivalLaw.pdf 

The problem you have, like with any law, it is written by attorney's with the help of some people that are familiar with the industry but the do not "know" the industry. So they write some pretty ridiculous things at times.

Bill
The Peeler Group
32 West Main Street
PO Box 688
Fonda, NY 12068
right now the law states only carnival ride operators.
WOuld this also include the local groups with grabs or what ever. Although volenteers they are technically workers and should be included.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
Thank you Bill for being clear on this. I was at the safety meeting in January up in Springfield and we had a Il police officer/representative there speaking to us about this law. Many of us in IL have followed this law and wrote letters and even went to meet our representatives. We are doing the process electronically and it can be time consuming. The officer at our meeting stated we could do "green help" checks thru the local police as long as we also sent in the information into the IL state police even if they worked for us only one day. So that is very interesting what they told you. Thanks for getting back with us on this.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Bill, what is the definition of an operator that needs to have such a check, keeping in mind that there are multi ride carnivals as well as special events with inflates.

An operator in the context they have it, is and independent. They also have the following statement which is not clearly written: "Carnival worker" means "a person who is employed by a carnival or fair to manage, physically operate, or assist in the operation of an amusement ride or amusement attraction when it is open to the public." This change incorporates into the statute the definitions of manager, attendant and assistant from the Carnival Safety Regulations.

It’s my understanding that the way they define “attraction” includes game operations. Where we would maybe think of it as an inflatable, sideshow, ride or something similar; just a different take on language I guess.

What’s even more interesting to me is that they seem to include “fair amusement attractions”; I am curious to find out if they are meaning grab joints or information booths that you find under the grandstand or somewhere. Just my opinion, but if these states are going to require checks on anyone operating a ride etc. then they should have a clear law that states simply anyone working on a fairgrounds. This would include electricians, vendors and the guy or gal that cleans the toilets. If the laws are met to protect the kids, and not just come after the shows, then we need to cover all the bases.

Bill

The Peeler Group
32 West Main Street
PO Box 688
Fonda, NY 12068
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

Bill, what is the definition of an operator that needs to have such a check, keeping in mind that there are multi ride carnivals as well as special events with inflates.

I think its anyone that operates rides, inflates, etc, but, Bill can probaly explain it in more detail. I know game/concession operators are not required to go through the testing.
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com 
UserPostedImage
Bill, thank you for the Illinois update. I am curious to know how a lot of the shows are doing with the IL checks, as, most of them will be open by next weekend. I know of one show who is still waiting on results from the state which was submitted over a week ago (must be the backlog you referred to!).

Another question I have - how is this law being enforced?
Matt Cook
Matt's Carnival Warehouse / Matt's Web Design
http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com 
http://www.mwdwebdesign.com