Post a reply
Security Image:
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
In testing with WestCoastPat and going over some other details, I also agree that it is not necessarily a browser issue. Although some users may experience issues with certain sites if they have corruption of their Internet Cache or low disk space on their machine. In the general case though, the problem can most likely be attributed to server resource consumption through poor ASP code in one form or another. I don't do any development regarding the forums or MCW site code, so I can't speak for whether or not that could be causing it. There can be many factors on the server side to cause the webserver to slow down. Other issues can be attributed to traffic or possible DoS/DDoS attacks against the network that houses the servers...
I use Firefox and IE on Road Runner connection and have seen slow response on both. So I don't think it's a browser issue.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by WestCoastPat

Hey SS-let me see if I can explain my situation to you and you can tell me what to do or where to go. LOL.
1. I have the active topics page set up as my home page.
2. I am running IE-the latest with all the updates.
3. I click on a topic and the green bars come on but the page does not.
4. I try a few times and give up.
5. I open a new window with the same browser and can go to any other site with no problem.
6. I surf a while and then come back on Matt's and all is well.
7. All of a sudden while reading topics it all starts again.
8. NOW I bet you want to tell me where to go.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I will try most anything, but it seems that it is the site that is not responding. Most of the time it is fine but sometimes it screws up.
Would it help to keep a log of when the problem exists? I still think you guys do a great job-I just want it to be a little better then perfect. WCP

(this is just advice first): The Active Topics page and the Active Users page really shouldn't be a 'home page' as they automatically refresh the page against the server and create a tremendous load by hitting the server every 60 seconds for an update.

Try by setting your homepage to the root of the forum (http://www.carnivalwarehouse.com/forum) and see if there is an improvement.

I also am curious -- what type of connection to the internet do you have, what version of windows are you running, and how much RAM memory is in the machine, and how much FREE Hard Drive space do you have. These may have been answered before, and you can PM me the answers if you wish. If your connection is thru dial-up, that may be the ultimate cause right there. Dialup on a Windows machine, once it connects, tends to spend a few minutes flooding the connection by talking to MS' servers looking for updates, and basically phoning home, etc. After a minute or two, the connection will calm down and things will start flowing again (although obviously slowly). You most likely are not on dialup any more though, so this should be irrelevant to you. Let's see what your machine is like (by PMing me the answers to those questions) and we'll go from there.

These could all be nothing of concern (the machine specs) but before I can give you an honest answer, I need as many details as I can get.

Thanks --

@Everyone: PLEASE NOTE: I am not handling tech support for this forum nor am I moderating at this point. I am just offering knowledge from over 20 years of PC experience (and Apple/Mac), including various platforms and spanning many changes in software and technology...

Hey SS-let me see if I can explain my situation to you and you can tell me what to do or where to go. LOL.
1. I have the active topics page set up as my home page.
2. I am running IE-the latest with all the updates.
3. I click on a topic and the green bars come on but the page does not.
4. I try a few times and give up.
5. I open a new window with the same browser and can go to any other site with no problem.
6. I surf a while and then come back on Matt's and all is well.
7. All of a sudden while reading topics it all starts again.
8. NOW I bet you want to tell me where to go.
Thanks for any help you can give me. I will try most anything, but it seems that it is the site that is not responding. Most of the time it is fine but sometimes it screws up.
Would it help to keep a log of when the problem exists? I still think you guys do a great job-I just want it to be a little better then perfect. WCP
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
There may be inherent problems with Internet Explorer on Windows XP versions and Vista versions after the latest round of MS Security Updates (December Issue) -- there is note of it on Microsoft's Website. IF you need more information, I'll try to provide the links regarding this issue. It can cause IE to lockup under several occaisions, since the applying of the December Updates from Microsoft... If you're having problem with a page (other than MCW) in Internet Explorer, it's worth trying the same page with a recent version of Mozilla Firefox to be sure it's not just IE having the problems...
I have also seen long delays bring up MCW occasionally. I also tried 2 browsers with the same results. Once in a while a reboot of the PC seems to help but other times it doesn't help. I figured it was a server or network problem.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by circusguy

I, also have this problem with my YahooMail.

So do I. Everytime I click on the link, it goes to Yahoo! Mail then Internet Explorer freezes up, I have to open the task launcher to shut it down, then reopen IE and try again. Sometimes takes three or four tries (one time took six tries).

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
I, also have this problem with my YahooMail.
I am also having better luck getting the message board to display. Thanks to the magic work done behind the curtain guys.
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
Well, I posted the negative, now for the positive. MCW is running great for me now 99% of the time. Did Matt put a new quarter in the slot? LOL On another note, * is down, well the message board is, someone forgot to renew the domain name for the new year. Whoops....
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain