Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Webmonster

I'm a Supplier and Builder of the Dark Ride industry. I wish to remain anonymous.

I'm currently a lurker. I've been visiting this site for years, I just see a lot more potential on creative side. I have created many successful websites in the past. I just felt that I'd share my opinion with the community. I had a VB license and I though it would be nice to donate it after I saw this post.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, just sharing some creative input.

And you should know that we DO appreciate your offer. Even if I am a jerk about it (which I usually am on first impressions) your offer has been weighed heavily on. I would recommend that you get to know other members though and post once in a while -- while there are some rough ones here, most of the regulars love the added input from new members. It's not often that we get many suppliers around who are willing to participate --
Quote:

quote:

I shouldn't have to convince anyone, I was just trying to make a donation and a suggestion.

Converting Snitz is VB is a pain staking process but not impossible.

There is nothing wrong with the skin, Just could use a new touch.

Sounds like your unhappy with this job ;)

Well, the way it works with Matt is if it ain't broke, we don't fix it -- Currently, with our userbase (excluding a couple members who have suggestions) they are relatively satisfied with this software -- it's easy to use, it runs at good speeds, and considering the traffic, it's exceptionally light on the server. I am in the middle of implementing the topic highlighter now on my dev. server so that feature should be available soon (as well as RSS support for the forums as well)...

I'm not unhappy with the job. Because of the work I've already put in, these forums are nothing to maintain and stay on top of. But when other people start poking around in the code and in datafiles, that usually causes problems in the end. That was my main point - that if you think you can handle the conversion, then you will need to be available to maintain the new software and deal with it's headaches. I don't play admin well with others because I am a security freak.

Additionally, what I get sketchy about are people who are out of the blue wanting to offer database conversions to move to another server. Currently, with the format of the software, that would require me to give you db_owner level access to our Database for you to facilitate a conversion. That means you would have access to these members' data that is registered on these forums (and while that may only include an email address for some members, they still are very picky about their privacy. Many don't register to post as it is, because they don't trust the internet not to spew out their information without permission. I would hate to hear the outcry from them if they knew a copy of the database that controls the forum was being experimented on by someone who they don't know from Adam... At least with me, they understand through reputation and endurance that their data is safe here because I'm a paranoid bastard that will nuke a database before I give someone I don't know access to it... In this case, it would be Matt's call, and if he chose to go with your ideas, I would be removing my admin account strictly because I don't know you at all and I'm not releasing ANY of my information to someone I don't know.
Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Curious where you get 2k to 6k from? Since when did you see our stats logs last? IF you're talking about the counters at the bottom of the screen on the forum, that's reset every 6 hours along with the application pool that controls the site. Either way, we do more than 1.5 million general server hits a month with well over a million pages served on a monthly basis (that's a low count from the server logs)...

http://siteanalytics.com...warehouse.com/?metric=uv 

Those sites only report traffic based tracking code. We do not have any analytics tracking code installed here -- our servers have internal logs and stats provider. To say the least, those numbers are WAY off...
I'm a Supplier and Builder of the Dark Ride industry. I wish to remain anonymous.

I'm currently a lurker. I've been visiting this site for years, I just see a lot more potential on creative side. I have created many successful websites in the past. I just felt that I'd share my opinion with the community. I had a VB license and I though it would be nice to donate it after I saw this post.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, just sharing some creative input.
Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Curious where you get 2k to 6k from? Since when did you see our stats logs last? IF you're talking about the counters at the bottom of the screen on the forum, that's reset every 6 hours along with the application pool that controls the site. Either way, we do more than 1.5 million general server hits a month with well over a million pages served on a monthly basis (that's a low count from the server logs)...

I found this note on the linked site to explain a lot:

Quote:

quote:

We have little data for carnivalwarehouse.com, so these are rough estimates.

Rough estimates are no substitute for actual numbers.

Hate to rain on your parade, but to suddenly show up at this site, have a profile that is essentially anonymous, propose some major changes, and not participate in the active, on-topic discussions, one has to wonder what your motive is.
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step." - Lao-Tsu

"Faith is taking the first step, even when you don't see the whole staircase." - Martin Luther King Jr.

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly." - Robert F. Kennedy
Quote:

quote:

I'll tell you what tho -- you get with Matt, because it's his call. But if you can convince him to change software, and convince these members to go for the change, then more power to ya and I'll hand over the keys to the master forum admin account. That's just one less thing I'll have to worry about in my day to day... But I'm not about to be responsible for this forum software if someone else besides me is going to be poking around in it's code, so I hope you're willing to take on the extra responsibility that comes with your suggestions...

I shouldn't have to convince anyone, I was just trying to make a donation and a suggestion.

Converting Snitz is VB is a pain staking process but not impossible.

There is nothing wrong with the skin, Just could use a new touch.

Sounds like your unhappy with this job 😉

Quote:

quote:

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by johnroach100

The other forums I look at will give you the first few lines of a post if you put your pointer over it. Is this a different program for forums, or an upgrade? It's handy to see where something starts to know whether to click or not to click, that is the question.

That is a feature that wouldn't be hard to add into this code (it would be able to preview basically the first post in the thread if that's what you're looking for.
Quote:

quote:

This site averages 2k-6k Not that bad.

As far as CMS if you have it programed and Skined correctly it will only make life easier.

This Community needs something new, How about a Modern skin?

Maybe I take some offense to your comment about this site needing a modern skin due to the fact that I designed it...

I'll tell you what tho -- you get with Matt, because it's his call. But if you can convince him to change software, and convince these members to go for the change, then more power to ya and I'll hand over the keys to the master forum admin account. That's just one less thing I'll have to worry about in my day to day... But I'm not about to be responsible for this forum software if someone else besides me is going to be poking around in it's code, so I hope you're willing to take on the extra responsibility that comes with your suggestions...
This site averages 2k-6k Not that bad.

As far as CMS if you have it programed and Skined correctly it will only make life easier.

This Community needs something new, How about a Modern skin?