Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by IndianaTED

The topic about dozers in Indiana possibly being outlawed, got me thinking about other games that I don't see anymore. Though I think some of these just went away on their own for other reasons. And some of these I am going to mention, maybe haven't gone away at all, maybe I just don't get exposed to them anymore...

Ping-Pong Ball toss into glass goblets...It's had to be more than 20 years since I've seen one of these. Simply explained, you just tossed a ping-pong ball and if it landed in the goblet, you won that goblet. Goblets were arranged in a square and sometimes had more than a few rows stacked on. Sometimes a specially painted goblet would win an additional prize, a plush. Saw many people walk away with a box full of goblets. It wasn't a Fair for us until we went home with one or several. Those glass goblets must have been really cheap back in the day. I can still find them, or ones just like them in yard sales all of the time.

Coin pitch into glassware...just like the previous game, probably been that long since I've seen one of these too. I think dimes were pitched, and if it landed on a dish, ash tray, glass, etc., you won that prize. Many times the glassware was just stacked in a certain pattern, with others being on turntables that made it a little more of a challenge.

Coin pitch to hit the red spot...again I think this may have been a dime game, but may have been a quarter. Coins were tossed on a very shiny wooden board, that was just above ground level, that had spaced out red spots all over that were just a little bigger than the coin you were pitching. I think at least in one instance the red dot was encircled by a black ring, and if the coin ended up inside the black ring but not entirely inside the red dot, you won a smaller plush. If your coin ended up inside the red dot, you won a large plush.

Ring toss for a bottle of soda pop...Just like it sounds, back when soda pop came in glass bottles, ring a bottle, win that soda pop. I thought as a kid I had had a really good night if I went home with a bottle or two of pop (which was a treat for me back then) and a goblet to drink it from.[:)]

Derby Race...Race game against others, where you played a game that looked like a pinball machine except all you did was shoot the silver pinball with the plunger and it depending on where it settled, in one of 3 or 4 channels, advanced your horse on a lighted board the associated spots. Each Horse had its own name. This was one of those games that was fun just to watch, without even playing.

And my favorite...

The Pill Game...simple game, 50 cent buy-in, marks stood around a table top that had several rows of recessed numbered spots at one end. Pills were distributed, one to a person, by the "dealer" out of a bottle after being shaken. One person was given the rubber ball to bounce off of one end where it would roll down to the other end and settle in one of the numbered slots. If you had that number, you won the pot. If the number was not held by one of the players, the house would count up until a winner was determined. The house kept one of the 50 cent pieces each game (hey, they had to make their money some way). There was a spot on the table marked "house wins", but Arkie (the man who always brought this game to our town) always left the money in the pot, and everybody would ante up again, and they played another game for that much more. Arkie would always say, "House won it, house don't want it". He was a true Showman. As a player would leave the game, he would always say "See you in church". I would stand and watch this game endlessly, as I was too young to play. Last saw Arkie in '79. This, I will always remember.

I'm sure that I will probably remember some more, but this is a start.

Anyone know if any of these games are still around?

If not, what happened to them? Stock get to pricy? Or they did they get legislated away?

What are some other games that are no longer around?

THE V PILL GAME IS KNOWN AS PEA POOL. WE USED TO PLAY IT IN BARS.
charles keeler
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by IndianaTED

The topic about dozers in Indiana possibly being outlawed, got me thinking about other games that I don't see anymore. Though I think some of these just went away on their own for other reasons. And some of these I am going to mention, maybe haven't gone away at all, maybe I just don't get exposed to them anymore...

Ping-Pong Ball toss into glass goblets...It's had to be more than 20 years since I've seen one of these. Simply explained, you just tossed a ping-pong ball and if it landed in the goblet, you won that goblet. Goblets were arranged in a square and sometimes had more than a few rows stacked on. Sometimes a specially painted goblet would win an additional prize, a plush. Saw many people walk away with a box full of goblets. It wasn't a Fair for us until we went home with one or several. Those glass goblets must have been really cheap back in the day. I can still find them, or ones just like them in yard sales all of the time.

Coin pitch into glassware...just like the previous game, probably been that long since I've seen one of these too. I think dimes were pitched, and if it landed on a dish, ash tray, glass, etc., you won that prize. Many times the glassware was just stacked in a certain pattern, with others being on turntables that made it a little more of a challenge.

Coin pitch to hit the red spot...again I think this may have been a dime game, but may have been a quarter. Coins were tossed on a very shiny wooden board, that was just above ground level, that had spaced out red spots all over that were just a little bigger than the coin you were pitching. I think at least in one instance the red dot was encircled by a black ring, and if the coin ended up inside the black ring but not entirely inside the red dot, you won a smaller plush. If your coin ended up inside the red dot, you won a large plush.

Ring toss for a bottle of soda pop...Just like it sounds, back when soda pop came in glass bottles, ring a bottle, win that soda pop. I thought as a kid I had had a really good night if I went home with a bottle or two of pop (which was a treat for me back then) and a goblet to drink it from.[:)]

Derby Race...Race game against others, where you played a game that looked like a pinball machine except all you did was shoot the silver pinball with the plunger and it depending on where it settled, in one of 3 or 4 channels, advanced your horse on a lighted board the associated spots. Each Horse had its own name. This was one of those games that was fun just to watch, without even playing.

And my favorite...

The Pill Game...simple game, 50 cent buy-in, marks stood around a table top that had several rows of recessed numbered spots at one end. Pills were distributed, one to a person, by the "dealer" out of a bottle after being shaken. One person was given the rubber ball to bounce off of one end where it would roll down to the other end and settle in one of the numbered slots. If you had that number, you won the pot. If the number was not held by one of the players, the house would count up until a winner was determined. The house kept one of the 50 cent pieces each game (hey, they had to make their money some way). There was a spot on the table marked "house wins", but Arkie (the man who always brought this game to our town) always left the money in the pot, and everybody would ante up again, and they played another game for that much more. Arkie would always say, "House won it, house don't want it". He was a true Showman. As a player would leave the game, he would always say "See you in church". I would stand and watch this game endlessly, as I was too young to play. Last saw Arkie in '79. This, I will always remember.

I'm sure that I will probably remember some more, but this is a start.

Anyone know if any of these games are still around?

If not, what happened to them? Stock get to pricy? Or they did they get legislated away?

What are some other games that are no longer around?

THE pill game was called P POOL
charles keeler
Was digging around in the storage truck the other day and found a small suit case,opened it up and there must of been 3 to 4 hundred steel rings a tad bigger than a silver dollar,they had been used on a jingle board joint! Been quite a while since I have seen one of them on a show.
a favorite of mine as a kid was the POKERINO. they we're non-computerized electric slot type machines you insert a dime and the five card wheels spin then you hit the button in front each card to stop it, depending on the hand you hit the attendent gives you redemption cards to redeem for prizes.
Rules are fine, As long as they apply to everyone the same
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Pinetar

This game probably left the midway 100 years ago. I don't think Sixcat saw it in his lifetime.

UserPostedImage

Yes, I remember that horse race game. It was like an old country store game.
Sixcats have nine lives
The ping pong ball-into goblet is still a money maker for us, but we've basically converted it into a hanky pank suitable for festivals as well as fairs. We use inflatables for prizes.
We have 64 goblets -plastic, not glass - arranged tightly on a table. The marks get six balls for $2. What makes the game entertaining is that the balls will usually spin through four or five goblets before finally stopping. We have four colors of goblets, with the most common color being the small prize, etc. If the customer is really a lousy throw and still manages to miss all 64 goblets after six attempts, we give them a five-cent piece of consolation slum. We get a surprising number of people thanking us for not giving away live goldfish - a prize often associated with this game. One memorable night a few years ago I looked over and saw a guy patiently trying to throw dollar bills into the goblets. There was about 20 bucks on the ground inside the joint and he was still throwing. "Hell, this game's kind of hard," he muttered.
This game probably left the midway 100 years ago. I don't think Sixcat saw it in his lifetime.

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
[?]I remember a game called "Slammers", it was about 3 or 4 little hi-strikers on a counter. Haven't seen them in a long time. Was it a flat store?
I miss the "sound" of the glass pitches and Gold Fish games (kinda like hearing the old Roll-o-plane chains)
Also haven't seen any "Tive" (?) boards. a marble rolls down a board with about 100 nails in it as an obstacle course.
Someone mentioned the lucky strike....there is one listed on usedrides.com now.
How about when they used to give consolation prizes instead of free games at the I Got It games?
I remember one had a Pepsi tent and when two people won the same game they each got a six pack of Pepsi. Another would give peanut brittle, another had hard candy or those gummy green spearmint leaves.
"Two or more winners it's something of our choice and something of equal value."