Post a reply
Security Image:
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Judging from the time of your post Ted, we were mostly moved and set up by that time.
kadoty
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Ryan Russell

You must have just missed Burton Bros. and Drew. I saw Burton Bros. heading south and Drew has the Moon Rocket, Sizzler, Himilaya Center, and the Elephants on the lot as of 3:30pm. They must have hired some indepent drivers because two of the trucks said Waterman trucking and one said Friendly Leasing who I thought was Wade's?

Yep, sounds like my luck right now.[:(] Too late for one, Too early for the other. Oh well, I'll still see them soon enough.[:)]
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
Its a Larson Fireball thats rethemed.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Rockowheel

Did you say MOON ROCKET??
Quote:

quote:

You must have just missed Burton Bros. and Drew. I saw Burton Bros. heading south and Drew has the Moon Rocket, Sizzler, Himilaya Center, and the Elephants on the lot as of 3:30pm. They must have hired some indepent drivers because two of the trucks said Waterman trucking and one said Friendly Leasing who I thought was Wade's?

Did you say MOON ROCKET??
Quote:

quote:

Burton had most loads in there by this moring, they tore down and drove straigt to the event

Quote:

quote:

You must have just missed Burton Bros. and Drew. I saw Burton Bros. heading south and Drew has the Moon Rocket, Sizzler, Himilaya Center, and the Elephants on the lot as of 3:30pm. They must have hired some indepent drivers because two of the trucks said Waterman trucking and one said Friendly Leasing who thought was Wade's?

www.modernmidways.com 
"If life was fair elvis would be alive and the impersonators would be dead"-carson
Quote:

quote:

Show #2A Jessop's & #2B Shortline-Clay City IN (18 miles south)

[nostalgia]I played Clay City once. They had the sweetest girls I've ever met on the road. I still regret leaving that red head behind.[/nostalgia]
Every crowd has a silver lining - PT Barnum
This many oppurtunities(Shows is various stages) on the same day within 30 miles of my home...I don't know that I've ever had that chance before. Actually it could have even been 6 as I will explain below. But alas because of some wrong assumptions on my part, bad timing, or just not enough luck, it didn't quite all come together for me like I had planned. Here's how my late morning/early afternoon on the 5th went.

Show #1 Reithoffer Orange-Brazil IN

Thought I would be seeing them sloughing and moving on down the road today, but because of bad weather last night and the postponments of the fireworks, they agreed to stick around another day. They did do some early sloughing where they could; Top and side panels racked on Scooter, Back wall scenery and lights on the Huss Tornado (actually done the night before), canvas and signs on Tilt-a-Whirl, center panels on Chance Carousel, and some minor details that I'm sure I couldn't tell from driving through and looking without stopping. A couple of independant center joints did pull out since yesterday.

Show #2A Jessop's & #2B Shortline-Clay City IN (18 miles south)

I was expecting to see one Show moving in here for a town Fair, not knowing who it would be, and observed equipment from two different Shows. This is a surprise to me as this is a small event, but so far there was a Wheel, MGR and at least a couple of concessions and game joints from Jessop's Amusements, and a Scrambler, Musical Chairs, and a GM Hampton Motorcycles from Shortline Amusements. I don't know who was the headliner, but I will report back after the Fair is up and running.

Show #3 James Gang Amusements-Linton IN (12 miles further south)

I will report this trip in its own topic since it is a Festival in progress.

Show #4 Burton Bros. Amusements-enroute to Princeton IN (on IN HWY 41 South(???), 14 miles west of Linton)

I was hoping to catch glimpses of Burton Bros. as they would be traveling to their next spot. They were in Northeastern IL and would be going to Southwestern IN for a spot that would open tomorrow night. I assumed this to be their moving day and that their route of choice would be IN 41, the major North-South artery in this part of the state.

I got on 41 a couple of miles south of Sullivan IN and drove the 25 or so miles northward to Terre Haute. Unfortunately, I saw nothing. Either I missed on their timing, or they took another route, or both. I whiffed on that one.

Show #5 Drew Expositions-Terre Haute

They open this Sunday for the Vigo Co. Fair. Almost always in the past, they have brought in several pieces early as this is a circus jump for them from the spot they are currently at. As I pulled on to the fairgrounds, all I saw was one unmarked generator truck. Another whiff.

Oh well, I tried!

I will report back on the Shows that are about to happen later.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.