Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by ezmoney

finaly some one gets it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks very much. However, I didn't just get it. I've had it a long time. [;)]
Sixcats have nine lives
I remember when we played 2, 3 and 4 day spots. In Cleveland we opened on Tues, Wed or Thur and Closed Sunday night. Always made serious money. Small units until fair time, shows with several small units pulled them together to make the bigger show. There are less spots to play, less real estate to sit on. Shopping centers have limited parking and to use up a big chunk of thier parking lot cuts into thier retails profits by limiting thier parking. The industry over books and over stays almost every spot. That includes rides, joints and food. I never did like shopping centers but I knew there were times we couldn't survive with out them. We payout too much, charge too much and in the long run work too cheap. Maybe it is time to re-evaluate the methods to the madness. Sixcat's got it right, why stay longer for a few more dollars when the same time could be could be spent bringing in fresh money not burning out the spot.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
finaly some one gets it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've never seen a spot that was worth more then 2 weekends and now I'm going to play a spot for 4 weekends. All the real good spots are for one week. Rhienbeck for example. I can name lots more. Blue Hill Maine, Fryburg Maine. Greenwich NY. I could go on. There's lots of big spots with 2 weekends but If they were 6 or 7 day fairs, you'd get in big and get out. I know what you're thinking, 10 or 11 day spots give you 2 weekends at the weather. They also let the office charge you twice as much nut too. Give me the good old days when all spots, still dates and fairs were one week long. That was the business then.
Sixcats have nine lives
like jerry said there are fewer lots to play. remember wal mart was the answer until some jackass blew that. yeah, everyone will say 3 weeks at alot is too much and i agree .there maybe reasons though. what if the next lot fell through?etc etc. from experience it is as valuable to have a connection at still dates as committe spots. competitors can find this fair or that fair, but find those still dates is harder. protect them and don't s*** on them. they are hard as hell to find............any one know of some p.m me .....hahaah
what the ????
for the most part the replies have been good and make sence, however, that dosent change the isue that for a concession owner or even a show owner a blank ia a blank is a blank,, and 2 or 3 weeks only adds to the hard ships. A spot can be built,,, but it takes work and money,,,,NOT a longer stay..I was on wade shows before frankie bought the show,,,,,,I havent been around that show much and for my own personal reasons dont go there except when frankie books in himself...I was on JUS back with the portamonts,,and Lamkin,,,,,back then they were true shows and show people. This is a way of life and a culture all its own,too many dont get that and what you get are a industry full of 40 milers and clerks and I just love listening to their STORIES !!!!!!!

The Pontiac Silverdome was a cool still date for McDonagh's. Was open Friday, Saturday and Sunday the last year we played it. The weekdays were spent working on our equipment. Think of it this way... A large enough INDOOR barn to set the whole show up and get everything inventoried and lit all the way. Then run on the weekends a make a few bucks. Perfect use of a otherwise dead month for them.
Quote:

quote:

Stiff them becaues it was a blank? I know of a show that stiffed them and it was a good spot.

Jimmy D

Oh yeah-I used to play with this guy in Minnesota-and to him it was a matter of personal pride. The excuses he would come up with for pencil whipping the committee, and they'd take it! He had a small show, and he was like their last resort, either use him or go without a carnival.

But not to wander too far off topic, I remember a couple of lots in Detroit that Frank Cook and then Dick Carl used to play. We never got rich, but usually made a few bucks.
For one dollar I'll guess your weight, your height, or your sex.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

How many shows have played Shopping centers then Stiff them because it was a blank???? More than a few.

Stiff them becaues it was a blank? I know of a show that stiffed them and it was a good spot.

Jimmy D
James Dillman III
Dillman Family Rides Inc.
How many shows have played Shopping centers then Stiff them because it was a blank???? More than a few.