Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by midway1962

Hey Justin, i didn't no that you knew Jack Honeycut, i was around him for years on Link shows, a very good man, and lot's of jackpot's''

Mr. Honeycutt was the man who got me into the biz. Was a mentor and father to me my whole life as it started in this biz when I was 14. He's said to be retired now, but I've heard that a few times before right about a week before talking to him on a Wade midway. I sat for 3 hours in Wyandotte in 2005. They were set right down Ecorse road from us and I figured to go on over and see who was there. We talked about everything and anything as we often do. Apparently Frank Z. knew we were down the road that week too... Bumped into him walking around our midway in the morning on memorial day LOL. Was nice to see him too.
The last few years I have been working as a 40 miler. If Working a thursday to sunday spot I go home for first 3 days. go in day early set joint up restock etc. If spot close enough go home every night. Couple of showowners I know have a problem with that But why hang out with nothing to do
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by paulmbe

24 hour laundromats and grocery stores were great. We used to shop at 3am! Usually had to double back for something or pick up the strays, thats what a CDL will get you, also a few extra dollars where it counts, was worth it all those years.

You got that right. Finding a 24 laundromat was almost a Godsend. And I think every town we played had at least one Wal-Mart 24-hour Supercentre within a few miles of the lot. Some folks may not care for Wally World, but hey, when it's 1am and you realize you need some groceries, or "hygene" items, it's great the store is there and open.
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." -- Mark Twain
24 hour laundromats and grocery stores were great. We used to shop at 3am! Usually had to double back for something or pick up the strays, thats what a CDL will get you, also a few extra dollars where it counts, was worth it all those years.
"Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy *, what a ride!"
when the kids were young we always made sure they got off the lot as much as possible. They have been to many zoos,museums,pools ,and as they got older it was the MALL (teenage girls lol).I think our favorite times were playing the islands in the winter tho the beach during the day was nice.
when you cant breathe nothing else matters/please sign you organ donor cards today!! you may save life ; it might even be MINE you are saving/check out www.bluebracelet.info 
Showpeople-great post. So many times we hear only of the lot. If you are lucky enough to travel these great States, try to see some of the wonders out there. I met a guy selling programs for a touring show. His vice was that at every spot around the United States he would go have a gourmet dinner somewhere. When he played Salinas, CA. where I was he went to Carmel Valley and said it was amazing. But he never just settled for what was close or easy-takes some effort but he sure thought it was worth it.
WestCoastPat-Proud Mark of all things Carnival. STILL a "FAN BOY"-and proud of it.
I was fortunate to have a partner in our concession business and he and I would both take a day off. Since we were traveling all over the USA, I would use my day to enjoy the unbelieveable Museums and Historical attractions in the area that we were playing. And of course, lets not ignore that we all have to scout out the local laundry and super markets on one of the days. The Wife generally took care of that but once in a while it fell to one of the partners.

When we played around NYC, I would always take the time to take in a couple of Broadway shows and since this was before satellite tv, we would do a family movie once a week also.

Life in the Carnival biz and on the road can be great or it can be a living hell. It is what you make of it. If you are afraid to leave the lot, well, then you missing the whole idea of the travelin' life.
"Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see with your own eyes"
http://www.travelingcarnivalmidways.com 
http://www.ridemanuals.com 
That is an all depends on the situation including the shown, help, proximity to WQ and where you are going to play, the sponser. Bigger shows mean longer hours as a rule, smaller shows less hours and more days between jumps. The term 40 miler means just that, you sleep inyour own bed at home almost every night. Worked out great for me with 3 school aged kids. Because I did the ride maintenance and electrical work when I was on the road I about the only time I got to rest was when the show was open. Again, it depends.
I'm there, Old, Tired, Broke and Henpecked
I actually feel better knowing we aren't the only ones whose Mondays are wasted with the "hurry up & wait" game. We have moved on Sunday & opened on Monday as well as opening on Thursday & taking 4 days for set-up. Everyone is absolutely correct--the longer you have the longer it takes..[:D]
My albums are all on Facebook!
Hey Justin, i didn't no that you knew Jack Honeycut, i was around him for years on Link shows, a very good man, and lot's of jackpot's''
FOOD AND FUN