Post a reply
 Last 10 Posts (In reverse order)
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by with-it

How about calculating the actual time a guy is working and time standing with thumb up their***waiting to work and you will see some guys get paid wayyyyy to much.....Just because they are there 14 hours does'nt mean they are "working" 14 hours......

BINGO!!!!! Anyone who is in this profession looking to get rich should head straight to therapy!.. People have to understand out on the road you "earn" a living. If you dont "earn" it nobody is gonna hand it to you
"Everytime you open your mouth you make it harder and harder to take you seriously"
V. Boombotz

If you can't defend your self don't make stupid comments (please)
How about calculating the actual time a guy is working and time standing with thumb up their***waiting to work and you will see some guys get paid wayyyyy to much.....Just because they are there 14 hours does'nt mean they are "working" 14 hours......
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

So, working a carnival you will make LESS than minimum wage? If someone could in general explain the pay system of a carnival, it would be extremely useful for those of us who aren't with it.

What also matters is not how much you make, but how much you get to keep. Other types of businesses paying hourly wages have ways of dinging you too. Also, if you don't get the chance to put hours in, it doesn't make much difference what the per hour is. I know that I take home more than some tv news reporters in my home town because even though they make 10.50/hr., they only work 25hrs/wk.
The more you know, the greater your life
can be.
Ride help generally make a "weekly salary" and may include "living quarters".
GO GATORS ! 2008 BCS National "Chomp-ions" !

It is better to be defeated on principle than to win on lies- Arthur Calwell
Honestly it all boils down to the show and people you work for.
Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Coastercameron

I know I will sound extremely ignorant in this post, because for the most part, I am with regards to this. I'm just looking for a little information to help me understand this thread.

So, working a carnival you will make LESS than minimum wage? If someone could in general explain the pay system of a carnival, it would be extremely useful for those of us who aren't with it.

Retired but missing it...
"The hussle hard but we have to enterprise..."-Wycleaf Jean-

"For all your travel needs ... just give me a click"
I know I will sound extremely ignorant in this post, because for the most part, I am with regards to this. I'm just looking for a little information to help me understand this thread.

Quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Trucker090

As I knew it the carnival profession did not come under the minimum wage. Same as farm workers!! But who am I to say, and that was back when gas was $.50 a gallon. I wish I could of gotten minimum wage when I was growing up!! When I was 22 I worked for the phone company for 40 hrs I got $52.50 a week gross to start!! "Did not stay there long" At least with the carnival I got the shakes!!

We've been challanged on the overtime premium exemption. It's a law that even the investigator was aware of.
A man's legacy isn't the business he leaves behind; it's the family he leaves behind.

As I knew it the carnival profession did not come under the minimum wage. Same as farm workers!! But who am I to say, and that was back when gas was $.50 a gallon. I wish I could of gotten minimum wage when I was growing up!! When I was 22 I worked for the phone company for 40 hrs I got $52.50 a week gross to start!! "Did not stay there long" At least with the carnival I got the shakes!!
<h5>"If you cant run with the BIG dogs stay on the porch"</h5>

UserPostedImage

http://wwwseattlewheel.ning.com
There is a leagl way to protect yourself as a an ower / joint owner. Have each of your employees sign an Employment Contract and agree to work as Independant Contractors. All of my employees sign a contract stating that their "Unique ability" is being and that they are being hired for that ability as a Independant Contrator. I have not had to try it out in court yet (Mainly becuas ethe guy I hire for his "Unique Ability" to beat the living out of someone handles all pay disputes) but I am sure it will hold up should it be tried.

Besides, if the spot is not a blank, and you know what you are doing, at 20 points, you should be able to make well over minimum wage or maybe you should find another profession.
Clarke

Jacta alea est - "The Die is Cast"
This is going to happen everytime the business goes legitimate. NAME wanted to be big business, so it won't be long before the states mandate an hourly wage minimum for carnivals & the unions try to get in again.
One year in the 70's, we hired a couple of men in Hamburg, NY. They wanted to quit early in Syracuse & of course, the show wouldn't pay them til payday. They went to the labor board & ended up getting paid for EACH HOUR they had worked. This is the future of the carnival business.