SHOWMEN'S MARKETPLACE - CLASSIFIED ADS
  
Click here to learn how YOU can advertise in the Showmen's Marketplace.

Home | News | Marketplace & Classifieds | Photo Galleries | Advertise | Contact Us
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline thunderbolt85  
#16 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:02:45 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,002
Location: Greenville SC

Thanks: 598 times
Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tornado Go to Quoted Post
So just how BIG was C-21 Shows back then? 80, 90, 100 plus rides and how many units. Says "World's Largest Motorized Midway", of course it is show business....

Now a days, not including NAME as that is built from 5 shows, Butler Amusements would probably have the largest inventory of rides (say 125 to 135) but lots and lots of duplicates....
And of course Reithoffer (115 to 120) and Wade (115 to 120) would be number 2 and 3 (not sure who exactly is bigger) as both have over 100 rides in their inventories...

And of course Big-A is no where near the show it once was (5 Units 125 ish rides)...



Again, someone might answer this better than me, but I figured he had around 80 to 100, but most likely could book what he needed to fill any spot or several at once, lot more independents back then as well.

Reithoffer used to not only have the blue and orange unites (main units), but for a while they had a green and gold unit as well if I remember correctly. Of coure the green and gold units were smaller, but still could work good county fairs, believe the green unit carried the Reverchon Himalaya, saw it in Laurens one year after Childress called it quits.

Didn't know AofA used 5 units, thought they were only about 4, and the Deggeller brothers I don't think ever had an "official" second unit, but they would play two fairs at the same time and book a lot of stuff.

Childress would run two units during the Spring and Summer, then we joined up for fair season, but once or twice during fair season a small 10 ride unit would break off to play a few festivals and small spots with good money.

But back on track does anyone know what Al's ride count was during his top years?
Offline thunderbolt85  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 11:04:27 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,002
Location: Greenville SC

Thanks: 598 times
Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Swooper for re-posting the link to these great pics. I remember these, especially because in one of the black and white photos is a classic Derby race game with 14 stations where these were actually mini pinball machines (no flippers), where depending what slot your pinball traveled down advanced your horse accordingly. I really miss this classic midway game. The newer "derby games" just don't do justice to the original. Though this particular game in the photo is a straight joint, I remember seeing them where the stations were in a squared U-shape. I also remember it being one of the more popular games of the late 60s early 70s.



I really miss the Skeeballs and glass pitches, still find a skeeball ever now and then, but hard to find a glass pitch, and arcades, is there anyone out there with a arcade anymore? I have seen one since the early 2000s with Drew in Asheville.
thanks 1 user thanked thunderbolt85 for this useful post.
IndianaTED on 10/21/2018(UTC)
Offline swooper  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:15:30 PM(UTC)
swooper
Rank: Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/24/2003(UTC)
Posts: 389
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Thanks: 19 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 Go to Quoted Post
Again, someone might answer this better than me, but I figured he had around 80 to 100, but most likely could book what he needed to fill any spot or several at once, lot more independents back then as well.

Reithoffer used to not only have the blue and orange unites (main units), but for a while they had a green and gold unit as well if I remember correctly. Of coure the green and gold units were smaller, but still could work good county fairs, believe the green unit carried the Reverchon Himalaya, saw it in Laurens one year after Childress called it quits.

Didn't know AofA used 5 units, thought they were only about 4, and the Deggeller brothers I don't think ever had an "official" second unit, but they would play two fairs at the same time and book a lot of stuff.

Childress would run two units during the Spring and Summer, then we joined up for fair season, but once or twice during fair season a small 10 ride unit would break off to play a few festivals and small spots with good money.

But back on track does anyone know what Al's ride count was during his top years?


for a shot time around 1970 A of A had 6 two of which were small church units
thanks 1 user thanked swooper for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 10/19/2018(UTC)
Offline Tornado  
#19 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2018 6:27:15 PM(UTC)
Tornado
Rank: Ride Supervisor

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/2/2003(UTC)
Posts: 1,418
Location: ,

Was thanked: 94 time(s) in 81 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 Go to Quoted Post
Again, someone might answer this better than me, but I figured he had around 80 to 100, but most likely could book what he needed to fill any spot or several at once, lot more independents back then as well.

Reithoffer used to not only have the blue and orange unites (main units), but for a while they had a green and gold unit as well if I remember correctly. Of coure the green and gold units were smaller, but still could work good county fairs, believe the green unit carried the Reverchon Himalaya, saw it in Laurens one year after Childress called it quits.

Didn't know AofA used 5 units, thought they were only about 4, and the Deggeller brothers I don't think ever had an "official" second unit, but they would play two fairs at the same time and book a lot of stuff.

Childress would run two units during the Spring and Summer, then we joined up for fair season, but once or twice during fair season a small 10 ride unit would break off to play a few festivals and small spots with good money.

But back on track does anyone know what Al's ride count was during his top years?



Thanks...

I know Reithoffer still at some points during the year will have 3 to 4 units as each unit (Blue & Orange) will split.
And I've also read that Butler will operate as many as 6 units during the spring but goes back to 2, maybe 3, unit operation during fair season.
Strange I don't believe Wade ever have more than 3 units operating and down to 2 during the big event time for them.

Speaking of Deggeller, seen them a few times over teh last few years. Very nice looking show and they do carry some big spectaculars...

Offline thunderbolt85  
#20 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 11:22:58 AM(UTC)
thunderbolt85
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,002
Location: Greenville SC

Thanks: 598 times
Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Tornado Go to Quoted Post
Thanks...

I know Reithoffer still at some points during the year will have 3 to 4 units as each unit (Blue & Orange) will split.
And I've also read that Butler will operate as many as 6 units during the spring but goes back to 2, maybe 3, unit operation during fair season.
Strange I don't believe Wade ever have more than 3 units operating and down to 2 during the big event time for them.

Speaking of Deggeller, seen them a few times over teh last few years. Very nice looking show and they do carry some big spectaculars...




Yes, very nice show now and it was nice back then. When the brothers started out after their dad and uncle sold the show to Conklin, I think the deal was that the brothers would provide the kiddie land (or most of it) for all spots in America, then about two years later they formed Deggeller Attractions.

They got back a lot of the spots include the SC state fair, VA state fair, and others and they bought a lot of rides and big ones to compete. That Holland giant wheel, Huss Pirate, Ranger, and Breakdance for a while. They had a Weber 1001 Nights, Mack Music Express, and plenty of other rides. They did book a lot stuff, but the midways were always full of good stuff.

Childress even booked in the Himalaya he had back then in with them, along with the Trabant, 16 seat Wheel and a few others for a few fairs.

That Himalaya that Childress owned was sold later to Gene Chaffee who owned Amusements of Buffalo at the time. A friend of mine who worked on it said it would really move, but I am not sure of who built it. Here is a link to the picture:

https://www.carnivalmag....dress%20shows%200026.jpg
Offline bigjlh  
#21 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 3:20:01 PM(UTC)
bigjlh
Rank: Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/27/2008(UTC)
Posts: 200

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 18 post(s)
thunderbolt.that looks like one of those Belgium versions,tubs tied together with trailer hitch type ball's seen a few of them.there was one on blue grass shows thing really went fast.had red tubs like that piece in your photo.thnx,bigjlh
thanks 1 user thanked bigjlh for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 11/12/2018(UTC)
Offline swooper  
#22 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 4:13:17 PM(UTC)
swooper
Rank: Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 8/24/2003(UTC)
Posts: 389
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Thanks: 19 times
Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 Go to Quoted Post
Yes, very nice show now and it was nice back then. When the brothers started out after their dad and uncle sold the show to Conklin, I think the deal was that the brothers would provide the kiddie land (or most of it) for all spots in America, then about two years later they formed Deggeller Attractions.

They got back a lot of the spots include the SC state fair, VA state fair, and others and they bought a lot of rides and big ones to compete. That Holland giant wheel, Huss Pirate, Ranger, and Breakdance for a while. They had a Weber 1001 Nights, Mack Music Express, and plenty of other rides. They did book a lot stuff, but the midways were always full of good stuff.

Childress even booked in the Himalaya he had back then in with them, along with the Trabant, 16 seat Wheel and a few others for a few fairs.

That Himalaya that Childress owned was sold later to Gene Chaffee who owned Amusements of Buffalo at the time. A friend of mine who worked on it said it would really move, but I am not sure of who built it. Here is a link to the picture:

https://www.carnivalmag....dress%20shows%200026.jpg


A of A had one of those in 1970's they bought from Bob Rice.
Then a local jersey show bought it from them.
I was told it was made in Belgium.
It used a salt tank for the speed control
thanks 1 user thanked swooper for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 11/12/2018(UTC)
Offline Astro85  
#23 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2018 8:00:49 PM(UTC)
Astro85
Rank: Operations

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 12/26/2017(UTC)
Posts: 73
United States
Location: Poplar Grove

Thanks: 23 times
Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 13 post(s)
That Himalaya looks awesome. Love those old salt water Himalaya’s. They were fast. Anyone know what happened to this one?
thanks 1 user thanked Astro85 for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 11/26/2018(UTC)
Offline gmonty3  
#24 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2018 1:49:25 PM(UTC)
gmonty3
Rank: Operations

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/15/2008(UTC)
Posts: 83
Location: Clifton Forge, Virginia

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I was with Johnny J. Denton's Gold Metal Shows in 1974. Gold Metal had the contract for a rather large county fair in Columbus Mississippi. Denton booked Century 21's Blue Unit to augment the ride line-up. Century 21's rides and joints made a very impressive midway. I remember that Wayne Kuntz has a scale joint, but he didn't put it up in Columbus, so my Age and Weight was the only scale on the midway. The word going around the midway was that Steve Perello's (not sure of the spelling) pin store got a $1,600.00 score. Sixteen hundred dollars was BIG Bucks in 1974!
Monty



thanks 1 user thanked gmonty3 for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 11/12/2018(UTC)
Offline Scott  
#25 Posted : Sunday, November 25, 2018 12:56:59 PM(UTC)
Scott
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 1/3/2003(UTC)
Posts: 3,958
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas

Thanks: 30 times
Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 145 post(s)
While the 60 minutes piece might not have helped the image of Century 21 that was not the reason they went under. Kunz had had some bad years and owed some money and was never able to over come the debt.

In 1982 Jerry Murphy took over the show and put Jim Roller in charge. However it only lasted that one season and both Jim and Jerry Murphy absorbed the rides and the route.

Century 21 was a serious show. Kunz a big player. Held the Iowa State Fair, Ozark Empire Fair, Heart of Illinois Fair (when it was a real fair) Gulf Coast State fair along with others.

I heard a rumor that Kunz offered the show to CJ Sedlmayr however he did not want to buy the show and later regretted it.


I posted a video of Century 21 from the early 80's to You Tube but for some reason I can't post the link to this post. However go to You Tube look up Century 21 and a photo of a clown face comes up and the title Vintage carnival video's by Maddratt. There's about 5 minutes of footage on that show and some of some others.

Edited by user Sunday, November 25, 2018 1:10:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,WOBBLE BABY,
thanks 1 user thanked Scott for this useful post.
thunderbolt85 on 11/26/2018(UTC)
Offline thunderbolt85  
#26 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2018 12:03:00 PM(UTC)
thunderbolt85
Rank: Operations Foreman

Reputation:

Groups: Registered
Joined: 6/27/2012(UTC)
Posts: 2,002
Location: Greenville SC

Thanks: 598 times
Was thanked: 232 time(s) in 191 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Scott Go to Quoted Post
While the 60 minutes piece might not have helped the image of Century 21 that was not the reason they went under. Kunz had had some bad years and owed some money and was never able to over come the debt.

In 1982 Jerry Murphy took over the show and put Jim Roller in charge. However it only lasted that one season and both Jim and Jerry Murphy absorbed the rides and the route.

Century 21 was a serious show. Kunz a big player. Held the Iowa State Fair, Ozark Empire Fair, Heart of Illinois Fair (when it was a real fair) Gulf Coast State fair along with others.

I heard a rumor that Kunz offered the show to CJ Sedlmayr however he did not want to buy the show and later regretted it.


I posted a video of Century 21 from the early 80's to You Tube but for some reason I can't post the link to this post. However go to You Tube look up Century 21 and a photo of a clown face comes up and the title Vintage carnival video's by Maddratt. There's about 5 minutes of footage on that show and some of some others.



Wow, thanks for the information, going to look for the video.
Rss Feed  Atom Feed
Users browsing this topic
OceanSpiders 2.0
Similar Topics
The other Century 21 Shows photos (Amusement Industry Discussion)
by swooper 12/30/2012 12:16:19 AM(UTC)
Century 21 shows pics (Amusement Industry Discussion)
by Jzrider0720 11/26/2012 7:29:05 PM(UTC)
Century 21 Shows - 1974 ish (New Members Welcome Area)
by Hollygurl 5/11/2012 9:30:24 PM(UTC)
KUNZ CENTURY 21 SHOWS (Amusement Industry Discussion)
by 24hr.man 10/22/2007 10:14:04 AM(UTC)
Century 21 Shows- KUNZ Past Employes (Amusement Industry Discussion)
by 24hr.man 5/24/2007 12:24:13 PM(UTC)
2 Pages<12
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.