thunderbolt85
Friday, August 3, 2018 6:37:05 AM
So thinking about usual stuff we used to see, but not much anymore I wanted to see what stories you all had.

I always liked the Cinema 180, later saw it as a laser show and then saw the one Reithoffer had with Scrambler inside.

Got to ride that one Walter House built which was ride and show with the roller coaster like train that would roll into the trailer and then you watched a show while the train moved some I think, i was pretty young, but remember getting on it.

Remember seeing school buses converted into side shows, drug shows and the such. Saw Fat Albert one time here at that fair, does anyone know is that fellow still alive?

Wax Museums
10 in 1 shows
Motordrome
Single O's (seen many of them)
snake shows
Drug Abuse shows

What all can you all remember?
ridejocky
Friday, August 3, 2018 7:22:04 AM
At the “right” spot I loved to watch the Gorilla show tent clear out when the “ape” breaks free at the end of the show...
Ride the Zipper?
bigjlh
Friday, August 3, 2018 8:42:04 AM
how about the good old geek show.seen some that were pretty wild to say the least,were not very p.c.in there time.but interesting.ok then bigjlh
wvscott
Friday, August 3, 2018 11:25:27 AM
the naked girl tents, now those were the days
thunderbolt85
Friday, August 3, 2018 12:07:16 PM
Originally Posted by: bigjlh 

how about the good old geek show.seen some that were pretty wild to say the least,were not very p.c.in there time.but interesting.ok then bigjlh

Yep, Fat Albert would not survive today to say the least.
thunderbolt85
Friday, August 3, 2018 12:08:16 PM
Originally Posted by: wvscott 

the naked girl tents, now those were the days

The only one I ever saw was the last two years Strates had his on the road, never saw one again after that. Think that was 85 and 86.
ridejocky
Friday, August 3, 2018 6:35:01 PM
Originally Posted by: thunderbolt85 

The only one I ever saw was the last two years Strates had his on the road, never saw one again after that. Think that was 85 and 86.

They’d hire local high school girls to work the bally in bikinis but they never actually made it back to the stage...

They would run back in the tent before when the show was starting, then run back out once it did...

Jack Norman said dope killed the girl shows...

Ride the Zipper?
IndianaTED
Sunday, August 5, 2018 12:40:17 AM
The Voo-Doo man in the late 60s
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
Johnny's United Shows..."A Family Tradition" and "All for Fun, Fun for All".
The carnival of my youth, which had roots that originated in my hometown.
JustinJames
Sunday, August 5, 2018 9:43:51 PM
The Great American Sideshow owned by Keith Stickley is currently in operation in Michigan and Indiana weekly. Various acts including Gabora.
ridejocky
Sunday, August 5, 2018 10:27:12 PM
It Sutton’s 10 in 1 still going?
Ride the Zipper?
thunderbolt85
Monday, August 6, 2018 6:55:18 AM
Originally Posted by: IndianaTED 

The Voo-Doo man in the late 60s

Don't remember that one, maybe they didn't bring it down to Greenville when they came.

I do remember a Voodoo Dark ride that was on Nova and sold to Bob Childress's brother Ben at the auction, don't know what happened to it after those years.
IndianaTED
Tuesday, August 7, 2018 4:33:54 PM

Don't remember that one, maybe they didn't bring it down to Greenville when they came.

I do remember a Voodoo Dark ride that was on Nova and sold to Bob Childress's brother Ben at the auction, don't know what happened to it after those years.

My uncle, who was/is always a prankster told me that when he was a teenager, he and a couple his high school buddies heckled the VooDoo man as he was doing his thing outside trying to get people to come in to see his Show. After a little bit of this, I guess the VooDoo man really lit into them and ran them off saying loudly some unfriendly phrases to put it mildly.

The very next night, the group goes back over and are walking the midway, when the VooDoo man spots them from a distance. My uncle said they see him hop over a fence in front of his Show, starts running towards them, catches up to them, and immediately apologizes for his behavior the night before and hands them all free passes to his Show. They were his biggest fans that night, and gave my uncle a story he has repeated to me many, many times. Especially when the carnival is in town.
I've never been "with it", just been an interested observer of carnivals for more than 50 years.
IndianaTED
Tuesday, August 7, 2018 4:36:52 PM
I also remember Victor the wrestling bear. Yes, an actual muzzled full sized bear. I was too young to go in an watch, and my mother would not take me in as she claimed her allergies were acting up just walking by the bear.
thunderbolt85
Wednesday, August 8, 2018 6:42:29 AM
Now I can't remember his name, but it started with a "D", and his first name was Tim but he had some good shows booked with Deggeller, the 10 and 1, a mermaid, and gorilla, all of them were real good.

We had one that booked with us sometimes, guy had a boa called Bloody Mama, sorry I am so bad with names, but can't remember him either.

petekoloz
Saturday, August 11, 2018 1:34:22 PM

Now I can't remember his name, but it started with a "D", and his first name was Tim but he had some good shows booked with Deggeller, the 10 and 1, a mermaid, and gorilla, all of them were real good.

We had one that booked with us sometimes, guy had a boa called Bloody Mama, sorry I am so bad with names, but can't remember him either.

Tim Deremer and Dean Potter.