|Exclusive News and Interviews
California State Fair
By MCW Staff
SACRAMENTO, CA - The California State Fair is planning to bring the excitement of Hollywood to Cal Expo this summer. This year, Fair organizers have settled on a number of featured attractions that will focus on Hollywood and how modern day movies and entertainment come to life. A mixture of unique attractions and touring fair acts with a Hollywood connection, the entertainment area is a creative cluster of attractions for the California State Fair guest.
"Hollywood is an integral part of California,s culture and economy. Every industry and culture in the State has played a role in making Hollywood what it is today," said Norb Bartosik, State Fair CEO and General Manager. "Our goal is to celebrate those connections and bring some of the Hollywood energy, excitement and diversity to Cal Expo, while still maintaining our time honored State Fair traditions and customs."
The following are just a few of the Hollywood-themed exhibits and attractions that fairgoers can expect to see at "Big Fun Studios" from August 15 - Labor Day.
· Going Hollywood Exhibit (Presented By Stage Nine Entertainment Store) - The "Going Hollywood" exhibit will take fairgoers on a journey through the movie-making process beginning with the development of a story and ending with movie production. Fans can see a casting call, get autographs from visiting celebrities and take pictures with costumed characters. A wide variety of film props and actual wardrobe items from different movie genres including; westerns, alien invasions, monster movies, romance and kid,s flicks will provide something for fans of all ages.
The center of the exhibit will be the "Sound Stage Nine," an interactive replica of a sound stage complete with green screen technology, professional stunts, special effects and exclusive Q & A sessions with influential members of the Hollywood community.
* Hollywood Backlot - Guests can visit Big Fun Studios, a life-size outdoor backlot similar to the sets and studios of Los Angeles. They can walk the Red Carpet, stroll down the streets of New York or journey back to the Wild West!
* Sound Effects Stage Show - This new interactive stage show shows what happens behind the scenes and lets onlookers play a part.
* Sea Lion Encounters Live Show - Celebrity animals have been on the big screen and the small screen. Now they,re coming to the State Fair with a special water stunt show and an educational program all about water and wildlife.
* Hollywood High Dive Stunt Show - These high flying stunt divers will celebrate Hollywood through the ages with their fast paced, high energy dive show that follows the story of the Hollywood movie making industry with fun costumes and music the whole family can enjoy.
* Stars of the Peking Acrobats Live - As seen in the movies, these amazing performers will combine sensational Chinese acrobatics with comedy, balancing feats and much more.
* CSI Live (August 26 - September 1) - An exciting interactive journey through the world of crime scene investigation - only for a limited time.
* Casting Calls - the State Fair is on the hunt for celebrity look-alikes to help bring Big Fun Studios to life every day. Plus, on Saturdays during the Fair you may get discovered by participating in our special State Fair Casting Calls. Models, actors and performers wanted! Sponsored by John Robert Powers.
* Red Carpet Fashion Exhibit - This exhibit will showcase actual red carpet fashions worn by real celebrities to major Hollywood events. Wardrobe provided by the Clothes Off Our Back charity.
* Floriculture "An Indy Adventure" - This horticultural masterpiece will replicate the on location set from this summer,s big screen hit "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls."
* Animal Actors - The 2008 State Fair will showcase a number of animal actors, including Blanco, the white Andalusian horse known for his role as Gandalf,s horse Shadowfax in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Blanco will perform in the Cavalcade of Horses during the Fair.
Big Fun Studios Movie Poster
In keeping with the theme, the State Fair will also be working with Los Angeles-based artist, Sergio Grisanti, to design its official Fair poster. Grisanti studied with John Alvin, a legendary movie poster artist who worked on such films as Lord of The Rings, E.T. the Extra Terrestrial, Lion King, and Pirate of the Caribbean. Alvin had originally agreed to design the State Fair poster but died unexpectedly earlier this year. Grisanti has graciously agreed to move forward with the project on his behalf as a tribute to his friend and mentor. The final State Fair poster will be unveiled in July and will be available to the general public after August 15.
In addition to the Hollywood-themed attractions, there are many attractions returning to the fair this year. Returning favorites at the 2008 State Fair include:
* Live Thoroughbred Racing in the Grandstand (August 20 - September 1)
* Baby Animals in the Livestock Nursery
* Family-friendly Rides in the Kaiser Permanente Kids Park
* Terry Stokes the Hypnotist
* The Magnificent Midway
* Freestyle Motocross, Roller Derby and Street Bikes in the Toyota Xtreme Zone
* Blue & Brews Stage with Live Music & Dancing Every Night
* Hussong,s Cantina with Music and Flavor from South of the Border
* California Green Dream Expo in the California Building
* The Step Up Dance Team
* Diane Olds Rossi in the Cavalcade of Horses
* Art, Culture and Agriculture Exhibits in the Expo Center
* Save Mart Supermarkets Wine Garden
* Monster Trucks, Demolition Derby and Rodeo Events
* California Foodstyle
* Operation Postcard
Discounted tickets to the 2008 California State Fair are on sale now at www.bigfun.org. Fairgoers can click 'n print their online tickets until Wednesday, August 13 and get discounts of up to $35% off general fair admission.